Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I did a very basic install of Slack on my old box. Well, somewhere along the lines, I must of put the wrong keymap, and now the keyboard doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Major help needed

Ok, I did a very basic install of Slack on my old box. Well, somewhere along the lines, I must of put the wrong keymap, and now the keyboard doesn't work. It works just enough to boot, but thats as far as your getting. How could I go along on fixing this?

Do you get to a login prompt? If so, how much can you type?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    use a bootdisk and then chroot into your fresh slack install.. edit the /etc file that slack uses for its keymap and put in the correct value. exit the chroot, umount your hdd's, reboot.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Do you get to a login prompt? If so, how much can you type?

Bryan
    I get to a login prompt on the box, but I can type nothing. And thanks for the help lordnothing.

EDIT:
    For the record, I can't type in ANYTHING. I've tired a Knoppix boot disk, nothing. Gentoo disk, nothing. I get absolutely nothing from the keyboard on that box. The keyboard is good, because it's the same one that I used to install the slack

Just Joined!
    I think I found it. I googled around, and I found something about a file called rc.keymap in the rc.d file in /etc. Well, when I looked in mine, it's not there? Have I found the problem?

How about this? Is there a way to where I can start a fresh install through a ssh?

Why not just re-install Slack from cd? It will take a lot less time than it's taking you to discover ways of correcting it.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

It seems that now he can't type anything on any cd

For the record, I can't type in ANYTHING. I've tired a Knoppix boot disk, nothing. Gentoo disk, nothing. I get absolutely nothing from the keyboard on that box. The keyboard is good, because it's the same one that I used to install the slack
    I don't get that.....

Can you get your hands on another keyboard just to see if the one in question is bad? It happens.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here