Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I don't know...I installed FreeRock a few weeks back (so I could get some gnome libraries to run kino). I ended up firing up FreeRock Gnome just to check it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I don't know...I installed FreeRock a few weeks back (so I could get some gnome libraries to run kino). I ended up firing up FreeRock Gnome just to check it out, and when I dropped back to the CLI, I lost my keyboard. Had to ssh into the box and reboot...not sure what the cause was, but seeing I don't plan on going into Gnome much, if ever, I didn't bother to look it up.

Don't know if that counts as breaking it, but it was a problem.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Linux Newbie
    Hum, I wonder if that was a FreeRock specific issues, or Gnome as a whole...

I'd wager is was FreeRock because I had problems after installing it too. My Slackware ran very well except FreeRock wouldn't boot into DE after I installed it. I'm sure others haven't had any problems with it. Dropline has always worked like a charm for me. I'm with deek. I install Gnome mainly because it's an easy way to get everything you need to run Gnome apps you like. I run Dropline some but by and large use plain old IceWM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    slapt-get --dist-upgrade after the installation would have fixed it for both of you

@DrCR, so if you would go with FreeRock, keep that in mind.
    Apart from that, I haven't seen any real problem with it.

PS: I mostly use it for it libs, but also as my "look how pretty Linux is" desk

PS PS: Since Dapper Dan talked a lot about IceWM, I gave it an other try(a few months ago) and now I'm still using it.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you like Gnome, you'll probably like Dropline. I tried it about a year ago and absolutely hated it, but then I'm not much of a Gnome fan, either. The bottom line is you really need to try it for yourself to see if it fits your needs, and tastes.

Hope you find what you are looking for...

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I've found myself really liking the KDE build (as well as IceWM) on my VectorLinux box and I guess if I have to pick between the two, I would go with KDE. But I want to give Gnome a good trial run, something I've never done. I haven't played with it since my one day trial of Ubuntu 4.10 which I thought ran way too slow...I guess I've gotten used to SW and VL.

Oh, for the record, SuSE going with Gnome is just, well, really weird.

If someone wanted to install a Gnome-only envrionment (no KDE) from a base Slackware installation, which Gnome release would you recommend they use? Would one of them be easier to install over the others?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Newbie
    Well St. Joe, I don't want to be hard on you or anything, but that is exactly what this thread has discussed. Your question would suggest you did even read what has been posted so far.

I'll be installing Dropline (in a couple of weeks, after finals) with a potential GWare trial run later on in the future. Dropline apparently isn't "hardcore" to sum, but it's apparently pretty popular too, and popular among slackers has often been a good bet for me.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    Well St. Joe, I don't want to be hard on you or anything, but that is exactly what this thread has discussed. Your question would suggest you did even read what has been posted so far.
    Heh, guess I'm blind. I read-in where the discussion has been about preferences between the different Gnome options, but I didn't see a mention regarding which is easier to install without any prexisting X DE. In any case, I ended up doing a base-install after burning an ISO of GSB and then used that to install to HD. It worked perfectly and now I have a Slackware box running only Gnome for my desktop.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Newbie
    Good to hear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3