Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there a program like Yast for Slackware, I see KPackage But I dont think it works right. I installed some stuff and it doesnt show it in it. Also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Program like YAST For Slackware?

Is there a program like Yast for Slackware, I see KPackage But I dont think it works right.

I installed some stuff and it doesnt show it in it.

Also why doesnt rpm -qa, work in Slackware? Like it knows the command, but it doesnt list anything.

Slackware does NOT use RPM for package managment, instead it uses the Slackware package format, using tar.gz or .tgz files. Use packman to manage packages. For something like APT and YUM, you can get slapt-get.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux Enthusiast
    read the slack book on how to deal with pkgtools on slackware

www.slackbook.org

Re: Program like YAST For Slackware?

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong
    Also why doesnt rpm -qa, work in Slackware? Like it knows the command, but it doesnt list anything.
    I assume this means you installed rpm? If so, you are best to stay with your native package manager (pkgtool) and native package format (tgz).

Also, rpm -qa won't work unless you have installed some rpm's.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Re: Program like YAST For Slackware?

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    I assume this means you installed rpm? If so, you are best to stay with your native package manager (pkgtool) and native package format (tgz).

Also, rpm -qa won't work unless you have installed some rpm's.

Bryan
    Agreed, use .tgz packages, and if you REALLY can't find a Slackware package download the rpm and use rpm2tgz to convert it.

you can get *most* packages for slack on http://linuxpackages.net in .tgz form

Just Joined!
    Alright, I understand how pkgtool works, and installed XMMS with it, seems easy enough. Can I still install files from source? using ./configure etc? And How do I see these when they are installed, as I dont believe pkgtool will show them. Apps are easy enough to find, but most dependencies, (Libdvdcss) etc, only come in source. I install them using the ./configure, make, make install, but slackware still doesnt seem to recognize there installed, and they dont show up in any package managers. This is my main problem.

Linux Enthusiast
    Alright, I understand how pkgtool works, and installed XMMS with it, seems easy enough. Can I still install files from source? using ./configure etc?

yes, I configure as such 'configure --prefix=/usr'
    then 'make' , but don't do make install

use the 'checkinstall' program to build a package from it, checkinstall monitors what the 'make install' target would do in the makefile, and builds a correct slackware package which you can then install/remove/upgrade at will.

so 'checkinstall -ss' instead of 'make install' , then just install the package, I havent checked up on the exact checkinstall options, some people say -S for slackware, but the above settings will be fine, it prompts you for a package description et cetera, and installs BY DEFAULT, so you dont have to install the package yourself.

And How do I see these when they are installed, as I dont believe pkgtool will show them.

It will when they are packages, never use make install from a source dir. unless you know you can remove it ok, or it has a 'make uninstall' target in the makefile.

Apps are easy enough to find, but most dependencies, (Libdvdcss) etc, only come in source.

Download the libraries that are dependencies, configure them as above, make, build into a package with checkinstall, and have them installled before the app that depends on them, and you should have no problems, this is how I operate.

I install them using the ./configure, make, make install, but slackware still doesnt seem to recognize there installed, and they dont show up in any package managers. This is my main problem.

doh.. use packages in future.. the slackbook explains all of this

www.slackbook.org

Just Joined!
    thank you this helped greatly.

I installed MPlayer, but it wont run. Just click on link, and it keeps loading then just goes away. I think I need the XFree86, but I cant find a slackware package for it, is there a place where I can get it? I dont get how to install the one on

http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.5.0/binaries/

thank you this helped greatly.

I installed MPlayer, but it wont run. Just click on link, and it keeps loading then just goes away. I think I need the XFree86, but I cant find a slackware package for it, is there a place where I can get it? I dont get how to install the one on

http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.5.0/binaries/
    Actually X.org 6.8.2 included with slackware will work, your best bet to resolve your issues however is to get slapt-get and install MPlayer that way as slapt-get will resolve any dependencies it has.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast