Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, the only reason I planned on useing PM is because I didin't know Slack could do it for me. I've never used fdisk, but I'm pretty sure I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well, the only reason I planned on useing PM is because I didin't know Slack could do it for me. I've never used fdisk, but I'm pretty sure I could figure cfdisk out.

I'm gonna go boot the cd now, and Phish, thanks for the info. I'm going to print it now.

Linux Enthusiast
    if you didn't know slack could do it for you.

you obviously havent done much reading of the slackbook

www.slackbook.org

may I recommend another distro such as debian or ubuntu?

it'll just save us time answering your future questions in the slackware channel thats all.

slackware, is not, I repeat, not for people unfamiliar with Linux.

Just Joined!
    Well, it's installed.

When I boot it useing LILO it stops on this line:

<6>pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
    Any reason it'd do this?

EDIT: I bypassed this by running 'Linux nohotplug' in LILO.

Now, I'm logged into root. Considering I have no idea what to do now that I'm here, I'm going to ask here then go read the slackbook.

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    To some extent I disagree - getting started on Slackware forces the newbie to learn. Sure, if the person isn't a computer geek of sorts already, some more noobish distro is defintily recommended (like linspire if you read some of the mags lol), but if their sufficently geek minded or don't mind learning, then I'd say SW is an excellent 1st time distro. I guess I'm biased though, I got started on SW. I confess though, I mostly use Vector now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    To some extent I disagree - getting started on Slackware forces the newbie to learn. Sure, if the person isn't a computer geek of sorts already, some more noobish distro is defintily recommended (like linspire if you read some of the mags lol), but if their sufficently geek minded or don't mind learning, then I'd say SW is an excellent 1st time distro. I guess I'm biased though, I got started on SW. I confess though, I mostly use Vector now.
    I'd agree, when pointed in the right direction (slackbook) it's actually very easy to get slackware up and running. But, yeah, you're right you have to be in a geek mindset.

Now to get networking setup. ><

Linux Newbie
    "netconfig"!
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigPhish
    "netconfig"!
    Yeah, I gotta install the module for my modem first. Gotta figure that out first. =/

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSickEmpire
    "netconfig"!
    Yeah, I gotta install the module for my modem first. Gotta figure that out first. =/
    And what kind of modem it is btw?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnux
    "netconfig"!
    And what kind of modem it is btw?
    http://thesickempire.net/misc/linuxnetworkconfig.zip

The bare.i kernel has the drivers for my modem already on it, and I have them set to work. Only problem is, I can't even connect to my router. I've been following with network section in slackbook, and what I've done is in the files above. I'm not really sure what to do next, which is why I came back here. If anyone could take a look at those any tell me what I need to add.

Just to add, I've never done this before. I'm a windows newb, never had to setup the network by hand. So, I'm essentially learning all of this as I go along.

Also, the modem I'm useing is:

Realtek RTL8193 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC(it's integrated).

Useing this driver from the kernel:

RealTek RTL-8129/8130/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support

Linux User

Realtek RTL8193 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC(it's integrated).

Useing this driver from the kernel:

RealTek RTL-8129/8130/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support
    I'm not sure to understand here: u said u're using a driver from windows to get ur nic work?
    U don't need any special driver etc..u should have a module from the linux kernel to handle ur card.
    I found this sentence on the web:
    The Network Card is a Realtek RTL8193. It was running immediately after install, no problems encountered with it.
    Here: http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~rouvas/compaq/ it was in 2002 with a patched 2.4.18 kernel
    The module seems to be the rtl8139 and should be in ur kernel u could look here: http://www.scyld.com/rtl8139.html. It seems to be the main page of ur driver. Not updated since a while so this driver must be include in ur kernel and a little google search: http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/net/8139too.c
    This driver is in the linux kernel since a long time. So it should work if this module is compile (and it should be by default) what gives a
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rtl8139
    ?
    And could u paste the output of ifconfig -a here plz? And a ifconfig eth0?
    U must fulfil the resolv.conf file with the dns of ur provider and not the ip of ur router.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast