Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Not really sure what's going on since this is the first time I try compilying something under Slackware. This is the error message I get: Code: bash-3.00$ ./configure checking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Problem with gcc

Not really sure what's going on since this is the first time I try compilying something under Slackware. This is the error message I get:
    Code:
    bash-3.00$ ./configure
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.
    bash-3.00$
    When I look in the config.log file, this is where the problem is:
    Code:
    configure:1688: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.6/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin
    /ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    So I follow that path, and the file "ld" exists, and it is readable and executable by everyone, so there's no reason why gcc should be giving me this crap (at least I don't think so).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Like I said, this is the first time I'm compiling something in Slackware, and only the 3rd or 4th time in Linux. Please be clear.

Linux Enthusiast
    install the binutils package if you dont have it on already

Linux Enthusiast
    Have that installed. From the development packages I have binutils, gcc, gcc-c++, gcc-java, kernel-headers, and make. I think that's it, though.

Linux Enthusiast
    glibc-2.3.6-i486-1

install that package

Linux Enthusiast
    Holy crap! Can't believe I missed that...

BTW, thanks!

EDIT: That's what I get for being cheap on space and trying not to install a lot of libraries.

Linux Enthusiast
    Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm having another problem and don't think it needs a whole new thread.

What I'm trying to compile is JWM (I think I forgot to mention that), which in my opinion is a great window manager. I seem to be having another problem now though, I can't get it running. It compiled without any errors, at least that I could see. When I installed it, I keep getting an error about the configuration file. I know the configuration file is configured correctly, because I've used this window manager before under Debian and know what I'm doing, as far as the config file goes at least. So I went back to the documentation, which isn't very specific about thing, and under the recommendations it say I need a compiler (gcc), X11, and the "development headers" for X11 and Xlib. Now, what got me think here is that I'm not sure I have those development headers (and I just want to get this out of the way). I've installed the X11-devel library. I guess my question is, does the X11-devel package come with those development headers?

Thanks

Linux User
    Lo
    Have u got some screenshots? I've never heard about such a wm what is specific to him and so on?
    For ur problem if it compiles fine normally ur wm is installed. Have u tried
    Code:
    whereis jwm
    To find the path and then add this to ur .xinitrc:
    Code:
    exec /ur/pathto/jwm
    It's difficult to help u furthermore coz jwm seems to be under low developpement (no cvs, no bugtraq, no irc chan etc...very hard to handle a project in those case...)

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, I know where it is installed and all, the thing is that it chokes up when reading the config file, which specifies things like the height of the Tray, Background, etc...

Right now I'm just ruling a things out and want to know if the X11-devel packages come with the development headers for X11 and Xlib. If it does, I'll e-mail the developer and see if he can help me out.

The website for the project is this:
    http://www.joewing.net/programs/jwm/index.shtml

He doesn't have a lot of documentation on it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'd just use fvwm,xfce,fluxbox,windowmaker.

cough

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't like fvwm, fluxbox or windowmaker... which leaves me with XFce. I like XFce, and have used it quite extensively but now I want something different. I really like how JWM feels and wanted to get it going under Slack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast