Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can mount cds and dvds without any problems however when I try to mount Audio CD by typing command, Code: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and bash gives me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question canīt mount audio cd

I can mount cds and dvds without any problems however when I try to mount Audio CD by typing command,
    Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    and bash gives me following output.
    Code:
    mount: block device /dev/dvd is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/dvd,
           missing codepage or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    dmesg | tail gives.
    Code:
    FAT: unable to read boot sector
    UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted.
    hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdd: command error: error=0x54
    end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
    FAT: unable to read boot sector
    hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdd: command error: error=0x54
    end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 64
    isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:40, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    Any ideas what the problem might be?

oz
    forum.guy
    You aren't supposed to mount audio CDs, as audio playback and CD ripping accesses the media directly.

Banned
    The reason why you can't mount audio CDs is cause they don't have a valid file system (what you normally place in fstab). In case your card isn't connected using that little cable(the traditional UNIX/Linux way), most players like xmms have an option to read them like Windows does...

Linux Enthusiast
    how does someone like this end up in slackware?

you dont mount audio cd's you play them, theres no filesystem on the disc.

Just Joined!
    Thanks ozar and jens.

To kern.
    What exactly are you implying by this statement? I have never used audio cds in my life. I tried mounting this one, it did not work, i asked a question. What is so strange about it? Since when asking questions make people noobs/retarded? This is the message I got from your statement.
    I bet you are some 16-year-old geek who thinks that knows everything and tries to make everyone else feel like **** all the time. Hence you nickname, "kern". Like linux kernel? Am I right? Your nickname gave out your geekiness.
    By the way if you think you have to be Linux guru to use Slackware, you are wrong. I am using Slackware just because of its simplicity. It is the simples linux distro out there IMHO.
    Have a nice day.

Just chill, everyone. Kern was out of line, and there is nothing to be gained by making unfounded assumptions about a person's nature from just a nick or some other equally useless base of comparison. Let's move on and spend our resources on assisting others instead of looking for ways to show our tails.

As to the actual point, a person could very easily install and use Slack without knowing about specific mounting criteria. Certainly, no one came out of the womb with this knowledge intact and functioning. Slackware is often viewed as a geek centered distro, but it has a very intuitive install process and does not require a lot of preexisting Linux knowledge to run as a home desktop. We all learn one step at a time and in a forum like this there should never be such a thing as a "dumb" question.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.