Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I put down everything I've done so far with this problem, you don't have to read the whole thing to be able to asnwer it, so don't be daunted! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATI Rage Pro - no 2D acceleration

Hi!

I put down everything I've done so far with this problem, you don't have to read the whole thing to be able to asnwer it, so don't be daunted!

I have the following problem getting to work an ATI Rage Pro video card to work on Slackware: the op.system can see the card, it can use it as well, but e.g. there's no double buffering (I can actually see the things being drawn on the screen), and there's only one possible frequency for every resolution. (I.e. 61 MHz for 1024x768, 83 for 800x600 etc.) The whole graphics handling is really slow, and it is a pain to run any graphical application (e.g. Xine).

I am using a P-II 640MHz, ATI Rage Pro, Slackware 10.1 with KDE.

What I've done so far:

I've downloaded and installed DRI (the commons and the mach64 package), restarted X, but nothing has changed.

In the /etc/X11 directory there are 3 files:
    xorg.conf-vesa
    xorg.conf-fbdev
    xorg.conf

xorg.conf is a copy of xorg.conf-vesa. If I copy xorg.conf-fbdev onto it, I get the following message when trying to start X:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
    (EE) No devices detected
    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Based on a message I found on the net, I added the following lines to xorg.conf as well:

#in Section "Module":
    Load "dri"

#and
    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

That didn't change a thing either.

Please somebody help me! On windows the card works all right (i.e. there is 2D acceleration and normal refresh rates for all kinds of resolutions.)

Thanks very much
    Agoston

Just Joined!

ati rage pro + SLW10.1

Are u using vesa driver? As root try changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf's vesa to ati driver then adjust DefaultDepth to 24. How old is ur card? How much memory does it have? Newer cards wd use fglrx as well. Good luck.