Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I've just finished the installation of Slack 10.1. I'd like to customize it and make it a bit more personalized, you know. Therefore, I have some questions: more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up 10.1

Hi there!

I've just finished the installation of Slack 10.1. I'd like to customize it and make it a bit more personalized, you know. Therefore, I have some questions:

• more permissions - I've created my own user, but he seems to be lacking a few.. permissions? For example, I cannot execute the shutdown command. I can't also mount. I know it's completely normal, as a typical user shouldn't be able to do this, but as I'm the only user (and I don't want to work as root all the time) I'd like to be able to gain the ability to execute those commands. What should I do?
    • hiding the boot process - I was wandering whether it's possible to hide the loads of messages rushing through the screen at boot time. It would be cool to see a progress bar or at least some fullscreen image instead of the text. I'd also want to boot straight into runlevel 5, kdm. How can I do this? And can I do this?
    • kdm - I'm using KDE, but I really liked the Gnome login screen. Is it possible to use the gdm to log into KDE? What would I need to have installed? I deselected Gnome Environment at installation.

Guess that's all.. But I may come up with something more.

Any hints, pointers, links are welcome!

1. If you enter KDE from a runlevel 4 then it is the KDM manager that controls the shutdown and rebooting configuration.

a. Open the KDE Control Center.
    b. Goto System Administration.
    c. Choose Login Manager.
    d. Click the Admin Mode button.
    e. Root password.
    f. Choose the Shutdown tab.
    g. At local shutdown select everybody.

To change the runlevel to 4 open /etc/inittab.

Find this section:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:

Change it to:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:4:initdefault:

2. Install the bootsplash program from LinuxPackages.
    Be sure to read all the enclosed docs.

3. Just fire up pkgtool.

$ su
    # man pkgtool
    # pkgtool
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Just Joined!
    Okay, that suits me. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    For executing some system commands as a normal user, install the sudo package from the slackware cd or from www.slackware.com/pb , and run the command "visudo" as root. At the end of the file, add the line

Code:
    %users   ALL=mount /dev/cdrom,umount /dev/cdrom,/sbin/shutdown -h now
    That will enable you to run those three commands by typing sudo <command name. Similiarly you can add more commands to the list.

Just Joined!
    I would like to add a few suggestions to this thread. After setting up sudo, go ahead and add some aliases to ~/.profile to allow your non-root account to use these features without having to type 'sudo' all the time.

Code:
    # example ~/.profile file
    #             save it as /etc/skel/.profile to be automatically added to
    #             new user's home directories.
    # Aliases
       alias ll='ls -lh'
       alias la='ls -lah'
       alias lsa='ls -ah'
       alias shutdown='sudo init 0' #don't bother setting these two in
       alias mount='sudo mount'    # /root/.profile - wastes processing time. ;)
    Honestly, I don't like using sudo. I'd much rather just 'su' into root and get something done or simply login as root in the first place. (I'm the only user, and currently, have no network connection to my Linux box) Also, I haven't a running linux box to try the aliases with the use of sudo - so this is actually theoretical - let me know if it helps.

type visudo as root

and after you see the line "root ALL=(ALL)"
    type you username like that, so if you username is bob it will be like

root ALL=(ALL)
    bob ALL=(ALL)

see?