Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Lo Here is mine: Code: $cat /etc/shells # $FreeBSD: src/etc/shells,v 1.5 2000/04/27 21:58:46 ache Exp $ # # List of acceptable shells for chpass(1). # Ftpd will not allow users ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Lo
    Here is mine:
    Code:
    $cat /etc/shells 
    # $FreeBSD: src/etc/shells,v 1.5 2000/04/27 21:58:46 ache Exp $
    #
    # List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
    # Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
    # one of these shells.

/bin/sh
    /bin/csh
    /bin/tcsh
    /usr/local/bin/bash
    I got some problem with my shells at the beginning coz the default one under FreeBSD is the c one if I remember well. I got to change it thx to chsh but the first time I try to log into after the change i got the same message error.
    So I type whereis bash on my prompt and add the given path to this file, since I do that it works fine. So check ur path and the shell u're using by typing chsh. In fact the path could be good in the /etc/shells but bad in the chsh file
    I dont know if it is well understandable. The simpliest: check the path of bash (if u use this one) then type chsh to the user prompt here u got a file with info user and in particular the location of ur shell. If this location is wrong (for example /bin/tcsh instead of /bin/bash) change it and reboot and try to log in. Normally if u change ur shell thx to the chsh command the info should have been changed in the chsh file but...
    If the shell location is good in the /etc/shells file and in the user profile given by chsh and u cant login; u got a problem :s

Thanks guys i got it working, i just added /bin/bash after /home/gmp: in /etc/passwd =) and it let me log in fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2