Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone please explain how to install this step by step. I want to get wireless working, and I found the proper files and drivers to do so located here. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Explain how to do this step by step

Can someone please explain how to install this step by step.

I want to get wireless working, and I found the proper files and drivers to do so located here.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

For the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG card.

Now I dont really get the install instructions or what to do, none of it seems to work. Can somone help me out with it?

Just Joined!
    while im waiting for someone to reply to my post i read yours. i followed the link you provided and read the the instructions given. they seem to be pretty straight forward and detailed. could you be more forthcomming with what in particular you dont understand or which instructions are giving you trouble?

gabe

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, the INSTALL document ( http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL ) is probably about as step-by-step as instructions get. Maybe you can post what part of them it is that's stumping you and someone can help with that.

Just Joined!
    Steps 8 , 9 and 11. Is confusing to me.

Just Joined!
    ok, so steps 8 and 9 are detailing two different ways to install the ipw2200 driver. i would recommend following step 8 and ignoring step 9. if you dont understand what is being explained in step 8 you should read up a little more on how the linux kernel works. just unpack the tarball with "tar -xvzf ipw2200-xxx.tgz" where xxx is the version of ipw2200 you are installing, then cd into the directory that was made, and as root type "make;make install".

as for step 11, it is describing how to load the driver during the boot up process. you have a couple options here, you can add "modprobe ipw2200" to the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file, but it seems like they have written some start up and shut down scripts for you, load and unload. now you can add these into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local script, or if messing around with boot up scripts is a little advanced, you can just run them as root everytime you boot up.

gabe