Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i feel like im beating dead horse here what with all the previous posts about sound problems. unfortunately there is nothing that addresses the problem i seem to be having. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

more sound problems in 10.2

i feel like im beating dead horse here what with all the previous posts about sound problems. unfortunately there is nothing that addresses the problem i seem to be having. before i describe that problem i will say that yes i have run alsaconf, yes i have run alsamixer and unmuted and turned up the volume in the proper channels, yes i have run alsactl store, yes i have put alsactl restore in my rc.local, yes i have created a .asoundrc file. when that didnt work, yes i installed a new version of alsa and followed the istall instructions and then ran alsaconf alsamixer alsactl etc.
    so over the course of the holidays i decided to use my free time to upgrade my system. being a bit of a masochist i decided to start from scratch with slack 10.2. this is not my first time installing slack so i am aware that sound is always a problem, but doing the above has always worked for me. this time not. i read a good idea in a post here and decided to run SLAX and compare /proc/asound. this is where i think i found my problem. in my 10.2 install, all the /proc/asound/card0 files are EMPTY! i am at a loss to explain this. im using the 2.6.15 kernel with all the normal alsa modules. before i installed the 2.6.15 kernel, when i looked at lsmod, the modules where loaded but not being used, not they are being used, but /proc/asound files are empty. dont know what to try next...

gabe

Linux Enthusiast
    sounds like you broke it building your own kernel. try the packaged 2.6 off the 2nd cd, you wont need to build it, or any driver modules, just insert the ones you need in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, or turn on hotplug and let it have its way.

Quote Originally Posted by the_gabber
    i feel like im beating dead horse here what with all the previous posts about sound problems. unfortunately there is nothing that addresses the problem i seem to be having. before i describe that problem i will say that yes i have run alsaconf, yes i have run alsamixer and unmuted and turned up the volume in the proper channels, yes i have run alsactl store, yes i have put alsactl restore in my rc.local, yes i have created a .asoundrc file. when that didnt work, yes i installed a new version of alsa and followed the istall instructions and then ran alsaconf alsamixer alsactl etc.
    so over the course of the holidays i decided to use my free time to upgrade my system. being a bit of a masochist i decided to start from scratch with slack 10.2. this is not my first time installing slack so i am aware that sound is always a problem, but doing the above has always worked for me. this time not. i read a good idea in a post here and decided to run SLAX and compare /proc/asound. this is where i think i found my problem. in my 10.2 install, all the /proc/asound/card0 files are EMPTY! i am at a loss to explain this. im using the 2.6.15 kernel with all the normal alsa modules. before i installed the 2.6.15 kernel, when i looked at lsmod, the modules where loaded but not being used, not they are being used, but /proc/asound files are empty. dont know what to try next...

gabe

Just Joined!

SW10.2 install

Yeah if there is no specific reason to use 2.6.15 kernel u can do install with test26.s(2.6.13) kernel and remember to 'install kernel from cd' step. Then later, after install is done, mount cd2 and go to 2.6.13 directory and upgradepkg alsa driver, kernel source and modules since install will install 2.4.31 modules and alsa driver otherwise, causing module error messages. This is large kernel so later u can use it's config file to upgrade kernel or trim it down. Good luck.
    Others have had success with 2.6.14x kernel too.

Just Joined!
    so, not willing to accept defeat i did some more digging around, and i learned an important lesson. i saw the 0 file size and thought the files were empty, forgot to cat them to check! so there is information there, the strange thing is that it is different than that from the /proc/asound files from SLAX. memory addresses are slightly off. im fairly sure inaccurate memory address information could be the reason im not getting any sound, but im sure how to go about fixing it.

gabe

Linux Enthusiast
    try the default kernel 2.6 package on the 2nd cd , and load the correct driver modules, that is all., as long as you have correct alsa packages on.

Just Joined!
    installed the default 2.6.13 kernel. ran alsaconf, alsamixer etc, still no sound...

gabe

Linux Enthusiast
    alsa-lib
    alsa-oss
    alsa-utils
    alsa-driver-2.6

you have these packages installed right?

Just Joined!
    yes.

gabe

Linux Enthusiast
    please post the contents of your dmesg after you've booted , 'dmesg > out'

and lsmod, and /proc/asound/modules and /proc/asound/cards

Linux Enthusiast
    another thing, have you started the alsa service or made it executable ?

Code:
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa
    /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa start

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast