Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone I'm sure that somoene else has posted this topic before but i couldnt find it anywhere, and for that (posting it again) I apologise! - can anyone tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

boot-up file

hello everyone

I'm sure that somoene else has posted this topic before but i couldnt find it anywhere, and for that (posting it again) I apologise! - can anyone tell me where to find the-text file that has the boot-up log in it?

I just compiled and installed the new linux kernel2.6.15 on a toshiba laptop running slackware 10.2, but during boot I saw a few 'failed' calls and I wanted to take a closer look at it after booting to see where the problemem is, - embarassing enought tho I dont remember the name of that log-file, or where it is!

anyone?
    thanx
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

oz
    forum.guy
    Look in /var/log for various log files.

Slackware doesn't have a boot.log. Instead of wading around all the files in the /var/log folder, take a look at dmesg log file as that is the best source for boot info.

System messages are logged in /var/log/messages, system warnings logged in /var/log/syslog, mail movements in /var/log/maillog, authentication records in /var/log/secure and general debug information in /var/log/debug.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thank you very much!
    that is what I was looking for
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen