Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
im gonna give this 'kde from source' project of mine all ive got cause i can get (finally) a bit of kde. Time to do some compiling work. Originally Posted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

im gonna give this 'kde from source' project of mine all ive got cause i can get (finally) a bit of kde. Time to do some compiling work.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Joe
    Compiling you own KDE packages from the original source files is MUCH harder than installing Gentoo. All you have to do there is just follow the very plainly written handbook. It is a very step by step process. If you can follow directions you can install Gentoo.
    thats great news! but he first time i did anything major with linux, i left out a critical part of the instructions. i left out "make modules" when i compiled my first kernel.

id still love to try gentoo though
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Enthusiast
    The guy just likes work , simple as that,

http://download.kde.org/binarydownlo...lackware/10.2/

"no 3.5 packages"

people who refuse to use slackware the way its designed to be used and an example is compiling KDE 3.5 because you think the time wasted on compiling it will help you learn gentoo, because apparently theres a lot of compiling in gentoo,

why not just run gentoo? gentoo can use binary packages too.

it just sounds like weedmans time is free, if he were administrating a network of computers I really doubt he'd bother 'compiling kde 3.5 on each machine because NO slackware packages exist'

what a waste of time, you want to learn gentoo, install it and run gentoo.

tbh you just waste even more time in gentoo compiling, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Joe
    Of course there are KDE 3.5 packages for Slack 10.1 Here is yet another MIRROR. With the simple use of pkgtool you can have these installed with no fuss. There are other native Slack tools which are just as effective.

Compiling you own KDE packages from the original source files is MUCH harder than installing Gentoo. All you have to do there is just follow the very plainly written handbook. It is a very step by step process. If you can follow directions you can install Gentoo.

What you have decided to tackle has a vast number of potential roadblocks, and the information you have provided is so sketchy it is all but impossible to troubleshoot which point(s) of failure you have encountered.

hey, i cant get my hands on gentoo, so its the closest thing ive got.

and anyway, its experience.

and yes kern i have lots of free time, its the school holidays in Australia.

theres no need to get worked up on this kern .

weed

Linux Enthusiast
    if you downloaded KDE why can't you download the gentoo stage 1 install?

sorry man, people are going to get worked up if you tell them packages exist 3 times and then they try compile it anyway because they think compiling big things will help them understand gentoo more, simply not true.

gentoo would tank on that SX25 too whereas slackware would be fine.

i thought the stage 1 install would be bigger than 120mb + that would only give me the basics. unless i used the very same kde which i am trying to compile on slackware... which sounds like an idea.

how much longer does a stage 1 install take from a stage 3 install?
    also ive forgotten how much more compiling i need to do in s1 from s3.

thanks immensly for that post kern
    weed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2