Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, i am compiling kde 3.5 on slackware 10.1 (from source). so far i have got make errors on 2 files (or whatever you call them). they are: kdevelop, kdenetwork ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compiling KDE 3.5 on slackware 10.1

ok, i am compiling kde 3.5 on slackware 10.1 (from source).

so far i have got make errors on 2 files (or whatever you call them).
    they are: kdevelop, kdenetwork and kdeaddons.

they both give me make error 2 when i go 'make'. The packages may turn out to be more cause some of them are corrupt and i will have to re-download them.

please help me quickly
    weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Check if you get any errors during the ./configure stage.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    The quickest way would be to use the KDE 3.5 Packages for slackware on their site.

no compiling needed.

i got no errors in the ./configure stage for any of the packages.

downloading the slackware kde packages would be too easy, but i may have to go down that path. i try and run X with startkde in my .xinitrc file and i end up getting the cursor in the middle of my screen, a black background and kde music, but no kde.

running startkde from an rxvt session in fluxbox reveals that it is an all recursive error 2 and it keeps on trying to load kde with no luck.

surely i must be able to compile kde on this system with no problems. (or maybe a few i can fix).

weed

If you are getting errors during the 'make' stage, you will need to find and research the actual cause of the error, which will be provided in the output text that precedes the 'recursive error' line. The simple recursive error output does nothing to help diagnose the issue(s) involved.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Enthusiast
    packages are too easy?

only if your time is worth nothing trying to compile it and solve the problems etc.

anyway, there is no kde 3.5 packages for slackware 10.1.

also, compiling my own desktop is the closest thing i will get to installing gentoo. (a goal of mine).

http://mirror.isp.net.au/ftp/pub/KDE...lackware/10.1/ - This appears to be unofficial KDE 3.5.0 packages for Slackware 10.1.

As for source (God bless your patience), have you heard of Konstruct (http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/)?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

i have the source tar.bz2's already, it says that it will need to download it all again.

thanks for the link though.

weed

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    anyway, there is no kde 3.5 packages for slackware 10.1.

also, compiling my own desktop is the closest thing i will get to installing gentoo. (a goal of mine).
    Of course there are KDE 3.5 packages for Slack 10.1 Here is yet another MIRROR. With the simple use of pkgtool you can have these installed with no fuss. There are other native Slack tools which are just as effective.

Compiling you own KDE packages from the original source files is MUCH harder than installing Gentoo. All you have to do there is just follow the very plainly written handbook. It is a very step by step process. If you can follow directions you can install Gentoo.

What you have decided to tackle has a vast number of potential roadblocks, and the information you have provided is so sketchy it is all but impossible to troubleshoot which point(s) of failure you have encountered.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast