Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. It`s been a month now since I installed Slackware 10.1 on my old PC. I still haven`t managed to establish a network and internet connection. I really don`t know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network & DSL Howto

Hi. It`s been a month now since I installed Slackware 10.1 on my old PC. I still haven`t managed to establish a network and internet connection. I really don`t know where the problem is 'cause in a hardware perspective everything is perfect. I know that I haven`t made any specifications but that is because I don`t know know what to tell you guys, ask me and I`ll tell you (The biggest Slack-Newbie). Please help.

Toni.

Just Joined!
    You said you haven't made any specifications, so maybe the best thing to do is see the Slackbook network config chapter at

http://www.slackbook.org/html/networ...iguration.html

and also the network configuration page on the Slackware site:

http://slackware.com/config/network.php

I followed those pages when setting up my Slackware box and was able to connect without any problems...

Hope this helps!

:$

Hey, thanx a lot for trying to help me, I followed those links and I followed every step but it still won`t work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First a few questions, first, tell me about your configuration. Is your DSL modem connected to your PC or a router? If it's connected to your PC, is it connected via USB or Ethernet? For that matter, what kind of ethernet hardware are you using?

Getting DSL working via Ethernet shouldn't be any different than getting any other ethernet-based connection working so I'm tempted to say that you've missed a peripheral step somewhere.

Also, are there any other computers on the network, and can they access the internet?

What DSL provider do you use? Some providers require PPPoE, have you looked into that? Some also require you to "confirm" your account using their software.

I hope that some of that proved helpful, if not, perhaps it has at least given you a bit more insight into where to look.

Just Joined!

dsl connexn

I use verizon dsl with dsl modem w/o router and not on network. So adsl-setup is all I needed for dsl service. Some newer dsl-modems include router wc require setting up dhcp then adsl-setup. Others on network require more steps already mentioned in other posts. Good luck.

The same questions I was asking myself when I switched from a HFC connection (cable modem) with a FTTH one (over pppoe).
    The internet connection setup is pretty straight forward since you already have the rp-pppoe client (roaring penguin pppoe) installed on your linux box.
    You still have to do some check-up's depending on your NIC and IP addressing mode.
    First you should check if your NIC gets recognized by your kernel. You can do this by issuing the ifconfig eth0 up command (being logged as root).
    If the output of this command displays nothing it means that a network interface was detected and is now up and running. You can further check the NIC's status by issuing the ifconfig command.
    You should see your ethernet adapter named as eth0, it apears right on the top of the output.
    Second, check if your ISP leases you a static or a dynamic IP address. This procedure is much of a old-fashioned one as the only thing you have to do is looking if your ISP said anything about manually configuring your ip/dns server addresses or not. If it is not the case than you are using a DHCP configured ip address.
    Third thing you have to do is to start the DHCP daemon by issuing the dhcpcd eth0 command (i recommend you to issue this command into another terminal otherwise you will have to wait until it's execution ends)
    Now, the final part, start the rp-pppoe client and configure your internet connection, then press start to connect yourself. You should have now a working pppoe internet connection