Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so im on SL 10.1 and im running in KDE and everyhitng is fine i have no problems except when i open up a console and type in for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problem getting stuff to start with a GUI

ok so im on SL 10.1 and im running in KDE and everyhitng is fine i have no problems except when i open up a console and type in for example
    Code:
    wine hl.exe
    it tryes to run it but it says like it cant open the display and it tells me to check to see if x is started (which it is kause im under kde) , tells me to check $DISPLAY <--i dont even know what that is... and tells me to make sure i have the correct display driver. it dossnt do this when i type in firefox, but it does do it when i try to run airsnort. i compiuled airsnort and wine from source but i dont hink that should have anyhting to do with it should it? do you think i need to be logged in as root to run it because when i installed it and compiled it i was root? im a little confused on this one so any help is appreaciated thanks. -ZAc-
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

ok i got the real accual error message
    Code:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No prorocol specified
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    thats the error message i was getting....
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Linux Engineer
    It's best not to run things as root unless needed. If you must though, sudo is usually a good way to do so. Or use sux instead of su to get a root shell. Or set $DISPLAY to unix:0.0, like this:
    DISPLAY=unix:0.0 wine hl.exe
    If that dont work, try localhost:0.0 or 127.0.0.1:0.0 instead, though the first method will be a little faster, even if you don't notice it.