Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just downloaded slapt-get this morning since I thought it would a good addition to my Slack install. The thing is that I want to make sure I get everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

First Time using Slapt-get

I just downloaded slapt-get this morning since I thought it would a good addition to my Slack install. The thing is that I want to make sure I get everything correct and don't mess up my install. I read the README and FAQ files and have a pretty good idea how it all works.

I have 2 packages that aren't included in with Slackware, which is a custom built one for my wireless network adapter, and the other is adesklets, which I got from slacky.it. So I added those to my EXCLUDE section so that I would be able to run the --obsolete (or something like that) and --dist-upgrade options. I also went ahead and added lilo, aaa_base, aaa_elflibs, and a few other things that were already in there like udev, and kernel-* I think. My question here is, is there anything else I should add to the EXCLUDE section? I'm not at home right now, so I can't post my slapt-getrc, but I'll do it as soon as I get home.

I also have the Georgia Tech mirror on as my only SOURCE right now (it's been fairly fast with me). I read on the FAQ or README file that I shouldn't mix repos since it might mess with some of the packages, but I was wondering if it would be OK to add linuxpackages.net, and if yes, what's the address I should put on there?

I can't really answer any of your exclude questions but as for linuxpackages.net, check the mirror list (http://www.linuxpackages.net/mirrors.php). About 1/2 way down, there are slapt-get entries.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    I have 2 packages that aren't included in with Slackware, which is a custom built one for my wireless network adapter, and the other is adesklets, which I got from slacky.it. So I added those to my EXCLUDE section so that I would be able to run the --obsolete (or something like that) and --dist-upgrade options.
    I have no idea what the 'obsolete' option is, but if you have packages installed which are not in the Slack repos you don't need to exclude them since they would never be candidates for upgrades.

My question here is, is there anything else I should add to the EXCLUDE section?
    I gather you are tracking the 10.2 sources. The default exclude set in slapt-get will be fine since anything added to the stable Slack repos are generally security fixes. If you are tracking current that is a different story. And if you have FRG installed you will definitely want to exclude those packages. Use the same type of notation as is already presented for the dlg .tgz's.

I read on the FAQ or README file that I shouldn't mix repos since it might mess with some of the packages, but I was wondering if it would be OK to add linuxpackages.net, and if yes, what's the address I should put on there?
    That's not really a 'mix' since if you are within the 10.2 branch with each repo they should complement one another. However, I would not advise using LP.net packages for --dist-upgrade sessions. Just pick out individual applications that you desire and leave it at that (to help with ongoing system stability).
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, this is what my slapt-getrc looks like with the current branch in there, but if that's not a good idea I can change it to 10.2:
    Code:
    # See /usr/doc/slapt-get-0.9.11a/example.slapt-getrc
    # for example source entries and configuration hints.
    WORKINGDIR=/var/slapt-get
    EXCLUDE=^kernel-.*,^alsa-.*,^glibc.*,.*-[0-9]dl$,^devs$,^udev$,aaa_b
    ase,lilo,at76c503,adesklets,x86_64
    SOURCE=ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/
    As you can see I specified it to exclude lilo, at76c503 (which is my wireless adapter), and adesklets. I think this should be fine, right?

Oh, and thanks for that linuxpackages.net link.

EDIT: I just ran "slapt-get--simulate --upgrade" and it wants to upgrade quite a few X packages (like XFCE, which is my WM and X11), should I stop X before trying to upgrade these? It also wants to upgrade bash (from 3.0 to 3.1), is this going to be a problem since I'm going to be running bash at the time of the upgrade?

Well, this is what my slapt-getrc looks like with the current branch in there, but if that's not a good idea I can change it to 10.2:
    This is up to your own preference. The current branch will get you the newer versioned software, but it is also not to be mistaken as anything other than a 'testing' repository for libraries and applications that are being sorted for the next Slackware release. You might experience some breakages so just be prepared for this possibility. In short, if you need to be able to count on your system to run as expected then don't upgrade from current.

Also good to always read the CHANGELOG.

I just ran "slapt-get--simulate --upgrade" and it wants to upgrade quite a few X packages (like XFCE, which is my WM and X11), should I stop X before trying to upgrade these? It also wants to upgrade bash (from 3.0 to 3.1), is this going to be a problem since I'm going to be running bash at the time of the upgrade?
    You do not need to exit X or bash to upgrade these packages. Naturally, you will need to either restart X or reboot for the changes to take effect, but other than this there is no reason for concern.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Just Joined!

More Mirrors?

Anyone know of any other mirrors for slapt-get other than LP and the official mirrors?

There are several packages that are available on slacky.it that are not on linuxpackages.net - However I can't read italian - I just know where the search is and how to recognize which is a package. I can't tell if they have mirrors for slapt-get. And I'm sure there must be some others out there? I just keep coming up with posts about basic slapt-get setup when I google various terms to try and find any.