Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, I downloaded the package limewire 3.7.9 and untarred it, and then installed it using pkgtool, but then I try to run it and it does nothing. What should I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing in Vector Linux

Ok, I downloaded the package limewire 3.7.9 and untarred it, and then installed it using pkgtool, but then I try to run it and it does nothing. What should I do? Do I need the newer version of Limewire? I tried cd /usr/bin then running the command limewire but it said "line 22: java: command not found" cd /usr/bin/limewire says not a directory, even though I see the folder or icon for it in the file manager. Please help, I'm really confused

Ok, I ran the limewire command as user, not root, and it gave me a bunch of weird lines of code (I can't copy it in the terminal, I dont know why not).

Linux Enthusiast

Now I just tried to save it to my home folder and it says the directory is not writeable. I don't know how to make it writeable.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You can copy in the terminal: highlight the text with your mouse and paste it with with your middle mouse button (or by clicking on your scroll wheel).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Ok, here it is:

Code:
    [brian@vector~]$ limewire
    java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Initializer.initialize(Initializer.java:108)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Main.main(Main.java:49)
    Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: could not create preferences directory: /home/brian/.limewire
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.util.CommonUtils.getUserSettingsDir(CommonUtils.java:732)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.settings.AbstractSettings.<init>(AbstractSettings.java:34)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.settings.LimeProps.<init>(LimeProps.java:22)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.settings.LimeProps.<clinit>(LimeProps.java:13)
            ... 2 more
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: could not create preferences directory: /home/brian/.limewire
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.util.CommonUtils.getUserSettingsDir(CommonUtils.java:732)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Main.showCorruptionError(Main.java:101)
            at com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Main.main(Main.java:51)
    [brian@vector~]$
    I think it's obvious I need java runtime, but how do I make my home directory writeable so I can download the package??

Linux Engineer
    Which networks do you want to access oosterhouse?

What are the permissions on your home dir? It looks like that program cannot write into your own home dir, and that's quite strange.

I try saving the .tar file to my home directory, and it says it's not writeable. It was before when I just downloaded the limewire tarball, why is it not writeable now? Excuse me for being so newbie-ish.

Linux Engineer
    I suppose you know why your home dir was not writable by now . Oosterhouse, one advice: don't try to take giant steps if linux is totally new to you. Take tiny ones instead, and tackle one problem at a time. That will get you further, and you won't become desperate quickly .

Another advice: stick to .deb packages. Use apt-get or synaptic. It has more packages then you'll ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I suppose you know why your home dir was not writable by now . Oosterhouse, one advice: don't try to take giant steps if linux is totally new to you. Take tiny ones instead, and tackle one problem at a time. That will get you further, and you won't become desperate quickly .

Another advice: stick to .deb packages. Use apt-get or synaptic. It has more packages then you'll ever need.
    Thanks for the advice, I just get excited about learning linux so I try new stuff, maybe I'm trying it all too fast like you said, but I just love linux as a hobby.

Linux Enthusiast
    if you really have a Passion for the OS, and want it as a real hobby, the best way is to have some knowledge yourself.

dont post a thread every time you think somethings a problem, that non writable home directory problem could have been easily overcome if you new how to use chmod in the first place.

I really dont know how your type ends up with slackware/vector, but good luck

I'd recommend ubuntu to you though, or fedora or something.

take some time to do some research yourself, use this link www.slackbook.org to read up and become knowledgeable, then come back after and ask anything you dont understand, it will give you a FAR better understanding than just asking on here, and people telling you straight away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast