Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im at my last staw with MS winXP, i really cant be bothered with another install. I am considering using linux, although i know little about it. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Questions

Hi,

Im at my last staw with MS winXP, i really cant be bothered with another install. I am considering using linux, although i know little about it.
    I have a Slax Live CD, which im going to install inplace of winXP if i can get my Speedtouch 330 modem working with it.
    Is this live cd ok for permanent use, or is it too cut down?

the only thing that concerns me is will i find a decent replacement for my music programs i use...?

Reason & Cooledit ???

Your help in this matter, is greatly appreciated!

cheers,

chris

Quote Originally Posted by doorhand
    ... if i can get my Speedtouch 330 modem working with it.
    Do a search on this forum. I'm sure I've seen several threads on that type of modem.

Is this live cd ok for permanent use, or is it too cut down?
    It's not so much a case of there not being enough programs, but the LiveCD won't let you save anything. (Unless you mean to install it on your harddrive?)

the only thing that concerns me is will i find a decent replacement for my music programs i use...?
    What types of music programs? Do you mean just players or actual musical composition programs?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    If you want that kind of music software, try installing fedora core 4 and using the planet ccrma repository. Installation of software, and the range of software available for a more perminant distrobution is far wider and more accessible.

planet ccrma is a collection of the majority of the stable open source music software and will provide you with samplers, midi sequencers and various sound editing programs.

That said, all of these programs are available for other distrobutions, and you will probably be alright which ever you pick. Just with FC4 and ccrma, installation is simple:

yum install hydrogren

will install hydrogen, an awsome drum machine. If you do decide to go down this route and need more help/advice pm me or post more here!

Slax is a good live cd tho....but use it as a live cd....or put it on a usb stick...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok, fedora core 4 it is then! il give it a go. would i be able to use a wordprocessor and use the internet and download things with this too? like every other os.

iv found some threads on my speedtouch modem now thanks, il sift through them now.

the music progs sound good, no doubt il need your help installing them....

yum install hydrogren

'yum' is the command ?

cheers!!

oz
    forum.guy
    ok, fedora core 4 it is then! il give it a go. would i be able to use a wordprocessor and use the internet and download things with this too? like every other os.

iv found some threads on my speedtouch modem now thanks, il sift through them now.

the music progs sound good, no doubt il need your help installing them....

yum install hydrogren

'yum' is the command ?

cheers!!
    Definitely try Fedora, and it wouldn't hurt to try a few other distros as time permits. Mandriva, SUSE, and Ubuntu are also considered good for experimenting new users.

Just Joined!
    I have a slackware 10.2 and the speedtouch 330 on USB port, it works perfectly ! Why not give a try to slackware ? IMO it's the best distro out there !
    If you need help on how to make the speedtouch work, just ask here, I'll be glad to help.
    I had to download the drivers, uncomment some lines in rc.modules, create some pppd files, ... Everything was explained in tutorials I found on the web.

Again, the distro you want is the one that suits you best. If you want a package management system that take care of depandancies, you should try fedora, mandriva or debian or even Suse. Or even better, Ubuntu which is great, especially for windows users.
    If you want to control what's happening and what's installing, use slackware. As I come from windows too, I wanted to control my linux installation in every detail, and slackware is the best for that.

Sorry for my bad english (french is my native tongue)...

Most distributions (including Fedora Core) come with OpenOffice.org, which is a free office suite that includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software (similar to PowerPoint) and drawing program. All distros I know of come with some sort of web browser, usually Firefox, so you're good to go in that respect as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i saw these two music-apps:
    audicity: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=286
    sweep: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=351

anyways i think there is a lot of other choices!