Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I'm pretty new to linux in general. I'm running Mandriva 2006 PowerPack. My graphics card is a Radeon 9550. On original installation of OS everything was fine. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another graphics card question

Hello all. I'm pretty new to linux in general. I'm running Mandriva 2006 PowerPack. My graphics card is a Radeon 9550. On original installation of OS everything was fine. I installed Cedega and let it run its test and everything passed. Then I did some linux updates. One of them - I'm assuming it was the xorg - destroyed my graphic card configuration. On reboot I got a bash screen. I logged in as root and ran XFdrake and managed to restore my desktop environment. Everything looked good. I opened Cedega and tried to run a game and nothing happened. I ran the Cedega tests and found that my graphics card was now failing. No 3D rendering. No OpenGL. I went into my hardware configuration and discovered that my graphics card had been changed from Radeon 9550 to Radeon 9600 and instead of ATI Technologies being listed it was now MESA something or other. I've been to the ATI site and followed the instructions for installed their proprietary driver for my card. No luck. I'm just about chewing on my keyboard. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been searching all the forums I can find looking for someone with a similar problem and I'm not getting enough info. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just Joined!

ati driver after mandriva updates

Did the updates include kernel upgrade and if so do you have kernel source for that verison? Do you have old XF86conf-4(or xorg.conf) to compare with new xorg version(6.9?). Does that xorg version support the ati/radeon driver?
    When I went to 6.9 xorg I needed newer video driver as well as when I went from 2.6.12 kernel to 2.6.14 kernel. If you have 2.6.15 kernel ati driver will be problem.
    Review what updates/upgrades were done and see if any could affect desktop display.
    Otherwise there should be a way to tell mandriva xorgconfig program to use correct driver and fglrx. lspci still shows correct ati card? Good luck.
    Maybe ATI or Mandriva forum can help if above doesn't.