Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi!I am trying to remove some software on my slackware 10.2 box. I tried removepkg, pkgtool, gslapt, checked /var/log/packages, but they are nowhere to be found! aka, streamtuner, streamripper, faac, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pkg uninstall failing

Hi!I am trying to remove some software on my slackware 10.2 box.
    I tried removepkg, pkgtool, gslapt, checked /var/log/packages, but they are nowhere to be found!
    aka, streamtuner, streamripper, faac, faad, apollon, ..they are all running, but I can't uninstall them! why?

Just Joined!
    Are you using the full package name with the version? The easiest way to go about removing packages in Slackware is to run pkgtool and go to Remove. If you installed these packages from source, you have to go to the source code directory that you installed from and run a command similar to make uninstall.

Just Joined!
    Ha!, that worked, thanks!
    One question still. Is there a better place to download and install packages from, so that they will show up in normal places, where all other packages are?
    Or is this "uninstall procedure" normal when you compile from source?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by itzig
    Or is this "uninstall procedure" normal when you compile from source?
    You should be trying your best to not compile and install anything from source, and if you do, use "makepkg" to create a Slackware package. Between the official Slack repo, Linux Packages and this Italian site there should be no software in which you need to compile from source. The last site is in Italian, but using the search easy enough that anyone can do it (I found adesklets from that repo, when neither the official repo or linux packages had it). The first one is the official, and most time I only look at the "current" tree since it's more current. Linux Packages also does a good job at covering almost everything that the official repo doesn't. When looking for a package, this is usually the order I follow: Slackware official repo, Linux Packages, then the Italian site.

Just Joined!
    When you compile from source, i recomend using checkinstall or a similar program to make it into slack package. When you use checkinstall all you do is replace the make install comand with checkinstall. Its fairly simple to use. Or you could use makepkg like the previouse guy said but that takes a few more steps .