Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to get slackware to properly recognize my dvd-rw and dvd-rom drives. Right now, I have two problems. 1. Whenever I try to read a disc in my dvd-rw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to properly mount my dvd-rw and dvd-rom drives

I'm trying to get slackware to properly recognize my dvd-rw and dvd-rom drives. Right now, I have two problems.

1. Whenever I try to read a disc in my dvd-rw drive, I get this message (I haven't tried my dvd-rom drive yet, but I have it set up the same way).
    mount: block device /dev/dvd-rw is write-protected, mounting read-only
    I can read the disc just fine, but this means that I can't write anything it a blank disc.

2. I have to manually unmount the drive in order to eject the disc.

Any ideas of what I can do to fix these problems?

first off is it an ide internal drive or usb external drive?

second if you could kindly post your /etc/fstab that would help us with determing the problem.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    They're both internal IDE drives.
    Here's what my fstab file looks like.
    /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /ntfs-c ntfs uid=500,gid=500,umask=000,exec,dev,ro 1 0
    /dev/dvd-rw /mnt/dvd-rw auto noauto,owner,rw 0 0
    /dev/dvd-rom /mnt/dvd-rom auto noauto,owner 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think it might be because you have "owner" instead of "user"
    and also I don't think you should have both "auto" and "noauto" auto means it automounts and noauto means it doesn't automatically mount.

Though I'm not sure about the owner-user part because you are mounting it as root. The "rw" tag is correct so besides that I don't currently have any other ideas. But try the user switch and see if that helps.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    What exactly does "owner" mean in the fstab? I already added "user", and all it did was allow me to access the drives from my normal user account (which is exactly what I expected it to do).

As for "auto" and "noauto", they are in different columns. "auto is in the third column (filesystem types), and "noauto" is in the fourth column (mount options).

First off, the auto-noauto is fine. 'auto' means to automatically determine FS type (note that it is in the 3rd column, not the option column), while 'noauto' is don't automatically mount.

When you say that you can't write to a blank disc, do you mean that a burning tool such as k3b can't do this, or that you can't cp onto the disc? Because I don't believe it is possible to cp onto a disc, you must use a burning tool.

Just Joined!
    I just realized that I don't even have k3b. I just installed it, but I can't get it to work (or even open). I'm trying to install dependencies, but I can't seem to extract cdrtools. I've tried using both cdrtools-2.01.tar.bz2 and cdrtools-2.01.tar.gz and neither one will extract properly.

Linux Enthusiast
    uhm

you dont mount a dvdr then write to it

a mounted dvdr WILL be read only

you need a program to write a raw iso to the disc, such as k3b etc

oh yeah duh. I never even I thought that I never mounted my burner to use it.

so you should be fine just use a proper program like k3b

Just Joined!
    Well, my new problem is that I can't seem to get k3b to work.

I used installpkg to install the k3b tgz package.
    I then searched to see if I could find out what dependencies I needed to install also, and found this list http://unix.freshmeat.net/projects/c...branch_id=1133
    I then used installpkg to install the cdparanoia tgz package.
    Then I compiled and installed cdrdao from source since I couldn't find a tgz package.
    Then I downloaded cdrtools and tried to compile it from source, but I couldn't extract it from the .gz file or the .bz2 file. I tried downloading different versions of the program and form different sites, but I kept getting the same error message.
    Now I'm stuck with a non-working k3b, so I can't burn CDs or DVDs in Linux. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, I would like to get rid of that "read only" message I mentioned earlier. It pops up every time I try to browse a CD and is getting pretty annoying. Also, the eject button on my optical drives won't eject the CD unless I manually unmount them in the command line. Can anyone help me here as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast