Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to burn a avi file to a DVD, so that it can be watched on a regular dvd player. I do not want to use any gui's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Burning avi's using a Bash shell

I am trying to burn a avi file to a DVD, so that it can be watched on a regular dvd player. I do not want to use any gui's to do it, just cli

you need to use mencoder to convert to a dvd compliant mpeg
    then you need to use dvdauthor or a more powerful program dvdstyler (though I think this only gui not sure though) to author the dvd in proper dvd format structure, i.de video_ts / audio_ts
    then growisofs or cd-record-pro to burn to dvd

here is a sample mencoder scriptt i've used in the past just copy and past and make executable

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ $# -eq 1 ]
    then
    dir="$1"
    else
    dir="$PWD"
    fi
    cd $dir
    for file in *.avi
    do
    mencoder "$file" -of mpeg -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts -acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=25:vbitrate=5000:aspect=4/3 -mpegopts format=dvd -srate 48000 -ofps 30000/1001 -o ${file%%avi}mpg
    done
    where the line starting from "mencoder" to the line starting with "-mpegopts" should all be on the same line

this script will convert all avi files in the directory into mpg

hope this helps
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I've written a script to do exactly this. Please take a look here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi....php?p=2242797