Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am extreemly new to linux and jus learning, so plz if your trying to help me be a bit patient and explain everything fully. I had linux installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy SATA problems

I am extreemly new to linux and jus learning, so plz if your trying to help me be a bit patient and explain everything fully. I had linux installed on my pc, dual boot
    Its the latest slackware, 10 i think. But i had to have a friend come install the test26.s kernel cuz when i tried linux wouldnt boot up, anywaz my problem is this i have a Asus a7n8x e delux mb and i have a WD 200 hard drive SATA (media) along with a WD80 Eide.
    Linux cannot access the SATA, with the new kernel installed think its 2.3.16. IT sort of saw the drive but says it doesnt exist. In Kde i can see it in storage devices however there an error saying cannot mout deviec. Special device /dev/sata1 does not exist.

how do i rectify the problem

I doubt very seriously the kernel version you're using is 2.3. Odd numbers are reserved for testing branches, and I don't know any distributions that use those for their official releases. More than likely you're using the Slackware default, which is 2.4, and does not have support for SATA compiled in. First you need to figure out what kernel you're using. Open up Konsole and type this:

Code:
    uname -a
    Then post what it says here. That will help us.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

SOrry Update

Linux neo 2.6.13 #1 Sat Sep 3 21:11:20 PDT 2005 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
    this is what it says when i do the command

Quote Originally Posted by five
    Linux neo 2.6.13 #1 Sat Sep 3 21:11:20 PDT 2005 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
    this is what it says when i do the command
    Hmmm.. Perhaps I have my syntax wrong. Try uname just by itself.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

dwm
    Just Joined!
    A small part of what is posted on the slackware site

The newest release of Slackware, version 10.2, is available now. As always, thanks to all the people who helped make this release possible.

Slackware 10.2 includes the Linux 2.4.31 kernel, with Linux 2.6.13 available in the /testing directory. For the first time, a 2.6 kernel with support for SCSI, RAID, and SATA is offered as a boot option in the installer

Just Joined!

update

Maybe the command is wrong again. Using the new command i just get "linux" thats all

No, the command is right. techieMoe had the correct syntax. The unknown fields are basicially used to set various arch specific settings if you compile your kernel and enable specific options.

What I think you need to do is compile whatever sata modules are required directly into the kernel. I suggest you go through this document on setting up usb devices for gentoo (should work for all distros). Note usb flash drives and sata drives use the same underlying modules. ignore any commands about emerging various stuff. Start from Ch 2, Kernel configuration.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Merci,
    Thank You very much

Just Joined!
    1. Use Slackware 10.2
    2. Select sata.i kernel during installation
    3. Look for your EIDE drive under /dev/hda (if it's a master on channel 0), and for your SATA drive under /dev/sda (it will show up as a SCSI drive)
    4. Enjoy