Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble Installing Slackware 10.2 on my IBM Thinkpad 380Z Laptop. kernel: 2.4.31 The following error message is displayed: Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k Freed EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 10.2 Laptop Installation

I'm having trouble Installing Slackware 10.2 on my IBM Thinkpad 380Z Laptop.
    kernel: 2.4.31

The following error message is displayed:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k Freed

EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #515: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0

EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #651: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0

Then I can't access any files like fdisk and setup...
    please help, thanks

* I was thinking about increasing the ramdisk_size ? It's currently set at 6464
    Is there any way to do that?

IBM Thinkpad 380z:

64mb of ram
    300Mhz Pentium II
    5 gig Hard Drive

Just Joined!

SW on old thinkpad

The only linux install notes I found were for redhat with 2.2 kernel at linux-on-laptop. That may be good start point. See if there are any Bios updates available. I am sure IBM has other upgrades available for the lappy. Bios should be too old for acpi. You are using 10.2 bare.i kernel? How far exactly have you gotten in install? 6GB is plenty of room for SW install. Bitbenderforums has great SW10 install notes and linuxpackages documents section includes older SW version install notes.
    There are older versions of SW that install from floppys too that will work on your lappy.
    My only refrence pt is SW10.2 (with test26.s kernel) installed on my P233 64Mb PC with 20G HD with no problem except no auto shutdown--have to use power off button after shutdown-- because Bios APM doesn't support it. Of course the Bios supports cdrom booting. Again w/o ACPI. Otherwise it works fine with XFCE ,especially after adding 128Mb ram stick. good luck.