Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been working on getting Linux to mount my flash drive. I edited the fstab file, added a mount point, and managed to manually mount it and everything worked fine...... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB flash drive problem

I've been working on getting Linux to mount my flash drive. I edited the fstab file, added a mount point, and managed to manually mount it and everything worked fine...... once.
    Now whenever I try to mount it, it keeps saying that it doesn't exist no matter what USB port I put it in. I've looked all over these forums, but haven't found anything helpful and am just about ready to chunck the flash drive out the window. Does anyone have any ideas?

look at the output from dmesg after you plug it in to see if it is detected.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    It looks like it can tell that it's there, but I don't know what all of this stuff means. Here's a text file that shows what I got when I ran dmesg.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does the drive work in another OS e.g. SUSE or Windows? It looks like the system is assigning it to /dev/sdb1, but it cannot seem to read from it, as is my understanding.

If Windows or another OS can read it, backup whatever is on the drive, then format it, then retry on your Slackware box.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Does the drive work in another OS e.g. SUSE or Windows? It looks like the system is assigning it to /dev/sdb1, but it cannot seem to read from it, as is my understanding.

If Windows or another OS can read it, backup whatever is on the drive, then format it, then retry on your Slackware box.
    It works fine under Windows and worked fine under SUSE before I switched to Slackware. I have it set in my fstab as /dev/sda1 and it's mount point set as /mnt/flash.

Linux Enthusiast
    either set the same rule in your fstab for /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sda1

or configure udev so that no matter which order you plug it in , it always claims the same device node via udev, of your choice, mine is /dev/stick, and my ipod is /dev/ipod{1,2}

once you have the same device every time via UDEV, its very easy to setup the FSTAB rules so that you'll never need to worry again, add an automounter on top, and you wont even have to type anything to mount it or unmount it when you plug the pendrive in or take it out.

like windows (hah) , just plugin the device, use it, then remove it after its not busy.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kern
    either set the same rule in your fstab for /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sda1

or configure udev so that no matter which order you plug it in , it always claims the same device node via udev, of your choice, mine is /dev/stick, and my ipod is /dev/ipod{1,2}

once you have the same device every time via UDEV, its very easy to setup the FSTAB rules so that you'll never need to worry again, add an automounter on top, and you wont even have to type anything to mount it or unmount it when you plug the pendrive in or take it out.

like windows (hah) , just plugin the device, use it, then remove it after its not busy.
    Great! ... Umm... How do I do that (the udev thing)?