Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i was going to watch final fantasy advent children , but it wouldnt play with the subtitles. A few friends sed to get mplayer, it wasnt too hard to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down problems with mplayer, linux newb

hi, i was going to watch final fantasy advent children , but it wouldnt play with the subtitles. A few friends sed to get mplayer, it wasnt too hard to get, but everytime i try to open a video file with it this error comes up:

"error opening/intitializing the selected video_out (-vo) device"

any help would be greatly appreciated, but like i sed i am a linux newb, so any commands given would have to be easy, copy and paste-able, or black-and-white clear, tyvm in advance :P

Just Joined!

oh yeah,

im on zenwalk 2.2
    and im using KDE, if that helps

Can you post all of the messages that mplayer gives you so we can see the entire output

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I use mplayer, and if Im not mistaken this is the same error I get when I change to a display driver that I do not have set up. There are several ways mplayer has of displaying the video, X11, X11/Overlay, SDL, etc. Try using each of them until you find one that works best. When you have a strange graphics chipset it doesnt help much either. Im using a Pundit-R motherboard which has a built in 9100 chipset and I had to tweak X quite a bit before I was happy with mplayer.

Just Joined!
    k, im going to try the above suggestion, and that is the whole error message i get