Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i installed vector, no troubles. however, i turned on the PC, booted up vector the other day... no internet. it's got an IP address off my router (192.168.2.3), found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

vector doesn't like the internet

ok, i installed vector, no troubles. however, i turned on the PC, booted up vector the other day... no internet. it's got an IP address off my router (192.168.2.3), found out through ifconfig. i can't ping the router, and definitely can't ping anything on the internet.

the weird thing is that i DID have internet access on it, but it stopped
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Enthusiast
    is everything still connected? any cables out or broken? sounds stupid but I have some dodgy cables and it trips me up all the time

I sometimes phone my ISP *****ing about slow internet speeds, then get all redfaced when i realise theres a dodgy cable on my network. ahem

try that, or re-run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to see if it picks up DHCP IP and DNS information and gets you online

ok, cheers i think it's fixed. the rc.inet1 script wasn't using dhcp for some reason and was requesting an invalid IP, which meant the router wouldn't grant access, thinking it was an outside connection. i've changed the settings to allow DHCP and to assign the correct IP address. now i'm going to see what happens when i reboot. i've got a sneaking suspicion that it might change back... :/

EDIT: ok it survived a reboot, so i can call it a case closed for now.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?