Find the answer to your Linux question:
im having a lot of trouble with the X on slack 10.2, what happens is the X will start up, but about five mins. into the session it will freeze, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

10.2 X problem

im having a lot of trouble with the X on slack 10.2, what happens is the X will start up, but about five mins. into the session it will freeze, and ill have turn off the system, this happens everytime i start the X

Just Joined!

SW X problem

What video card and mouse is being used.? What monitor/lcd are you using?Are you using gpm? Try http://www.slackersbible.org/book/ for install/config. guide.
    From root command prompt try mouseconfig and pick correct mouse without gpm. Then try xorgsetup to see if SW's guesses work. Or xorgconfig can be tried. pico /etc /X11/xorg.conf may be used to edit xorg.conf for best settings to get startx to work. Be sure to save copy of working xorg.conf file. Using vesa or vga driver can get you desktop until you find way to install/config correct driver. Good luck.

Banned
    Does it give any errors on the Virtaual Terminal that you started X from, or in relevent log files?

Just Joined!
    no theres no errors, im just on a couple minutes then the entire system freezes (i think its the entire system not just the mouse) so idk

Quote Originally Posted by iamsam
    no theres no errors, im just on a couple minutes then the entire system freezes (i think its the entire system not just the mouse) so idk
    Check the processor. I have had problems similar with wireless the cPU would go to 100 percent the freeze.
    Look to see if something is running away. Like memory or cpu usage.
    First look in
    then check
    /var/log/messages
    these can be done in command line
    I would also change runlevels for testing
    have it boot to cli instead of X
    change run level to 3
    do this in /etc/inittabI
    I don't have it in front of me right now but scroll down it is pretty self explanatory.
    If it doesn't make sense let me know and I will re-iterate
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds