Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
my system: 3200+ sempron Nvidia 600GT 256mb 200 gb hard drive 512 mb ram i installed the 2.6 kernel. so far everything is peachy. i log into kde and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Couple of 10.2 Issues with a new install

my system:
    3200+ sempron
    Nvidia 600GT 256mb
    200 gb hard drive
    512 mb ram

i installed the 2.6 kernel. so far everything is peachy. i log into kde and the mouse doesnt work. i have a microsoft usb optical mouse. also when i was booting i notice an error on the screen where it couldnt find /lib/modules/dep what does that mean? i havent got far enough to install nvidia drivers yet. so if anyone could help me with those two things i can get to that.

thanks
    Joe
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Normally I would say "try running xorgconfig to regenerate your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file", but I don't think Slackware has that program. Could you post the mouse section of your xorg.conf file?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Sounds like you didn't compile the kernel modules or there was a problem when it was done. Try running "make modules modules_install bzimage install && Reboot" This will compile modules, install them, make the kernel image, install it, rewrite lilo, and reboot the computer. This should resolve the problem so long as you have configured your kernel correctly.

Identifier "Mouse1"
    driver "mouse"
    option "protocol" "microsoft"
    option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

but i ran xorgconfig and now x starts funky, it looks as if the resolution is too high or something.

also reinstalled with the default 2.24 kernel fixed some issues. hope to soon reattempting 2.26.
    Blog

You might try changing your mouse driver from "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/psaux". Just an idea. Sometimes it works for me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i learned one thing that if you try to use the test kernel from the disk when you are installing it doesnt work. the 2.24 modules are installed and not the 2.26 so your kernel is only half installed. this causes all sorts of problems for one the mouse doesnt work. the cdrom wont beable to mount among other things. i found a tutorial on how to install a bare 2.26 kernel from the cd.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Install_disc_2

i hate to reference another forum but this has been the only tutorial i found maybe we can post one of our own here techie moe after i run through what this guy has done. also i have to try to get and old xorg.conf file from a default install so i can get the mouse problem fixed. i will try what you suggested.
    Blog

Just Joined!

2.6 kernel

Slackware does indeed fail to install all the required parts of the 2.6 test kernel. Oddly, that includes the PS/2 mouse driver, which is a module, and not compiled into the kernel itself (Slackware is used on a lot of servers; maybe those guys prefer a module).

What you have to do is:
    -- put in CD 2, open the directory linux-2.6.13 (that's on the 10.2 disc I have here, though it might be in /extra or have a different version number if you downloaded a beta version or a -current or something else.
    -- Inside you'll find five packages: kernel-generic-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz, kernel-modules-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz, kernel-source-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz, kernel-headers-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz and alsa-driver-1.0.9b_2.6.13-i486-1.tgz. Again, that's what I have on the disc in front of me.
    -- Install kernel-modules, kernel-source, and alsa-driver. You should have the kernel-generic package installed (it's called test26 by the installation program), but if you removed it, install that, too. And the last I saw from the changelog Pat Volkerding was recommending you not install the 2.6 series kernel headers unless you had some specific reason. You might want to look that up if you feel you must install them. I think I saw it here: http://userlocal.com.
    -- If you still have the 2.6 kernel installed, you shouldn't have to edit your /etc/lilo.conf file. If you do have to install it again, you'll have to update /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo (/sbin/lilo from the command line as root).
    -- reboot
    -- run alsaconf at the command line (I guess as root, I always do it before adding a non-root user). This will install the alsa drivers for your sound card, assuming it's supported.

That should do it.

You could also go to one of the mirrors and download the latest versions, if you want to be really up to date.

Hope that helps. Always glad to see another Slacker come along.

joe f.

ok so i am posting this from links so that tells you
    i am posting without a mouse still lol. however my
    mouse problems actually go farther than X alone when i move
    my mouse it is only in one axis. it only moves up and down
    this is so strange. atleast i can surf the web yeah to links.
    and as many times as i have edited xorg.conf i am becoming an
    expert in vi which i always hated but hey it works for i need
    it for. so if anyone has any ideas on what is going wrong let
    me know.

thanks joe

edit: i had downloaded slax and it works real well and the mouse works. is there anything you can tell me that i can use to learn from what slax is doing? i thought maybe the gpm may need some parameters that slax is using? dont know. this is a cool live distro!
    Blog

Update

well i am on slackware 10.2 with the 2.6 kernel and all its modules finally! i went thru some trials and tribulations but i am here. i first off never got my mouse working even with 2.4 kernel. so i went back reinstalled using the test 2.6 kernel. i used slax to copy the packages from the second slackware disk for the kernel installed the kernel-modules kernel-source and alsa for the 2.6 kernel. rebooted and everything was fine ran alsaconf couldnt remember the alsa store command i ran startx and low and behold my mouse was working again. the 2.4 kernel didnt like the mouse. and 2.6 didnt have the modules i needed to run the mouse. the reason i had to run slax to copy those packages over is apparently mount wouldnt work kept saying something about /dev/cdrom not being a block device. but everything seems well and next to rack my brain around is to install nvidia drivers. well and my middle scroll wheel doesnt scroll so hopefully you guys can give a hint on that one.
    Blog

Hi carlosponti,

Sorry to hear of your mouse troubles. I had similar problems in 10.1 but 10.2 has worked well for me in the mouse department. I'm using the Logitech USB optical mouse which I think is pretty much like yours. Here's my mouse section in xorg.conf in case you might want to try it...

Code:
     Identifier     "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    The stock 2.6 kernel on the second CD has worked very well for me. I hope you get it sorted to your liking.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast