Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have recenly installed Slackware 10.1 on my sony SR7K laptop.I have wireless working, as well as video, and sound. I have 2 problems: Problem 1: I just finished ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acpi

Hello,

I have recenly installed Slackware 10.1 on my sony SR7K laptop.I have wireless working, as well as video, and sound. I have 2 problems:

Problem 1: I just finished recompiling my kernel for ACPI. I ran "make menuconfig" and checked the ACPI options. I then completed the kernel compile and install procedure. After opying the new kernel over and booting I still dont have a "/proc/acpi" diectory.Am I missing something? I am running 2.4.26 kernel.

Problem 2: After starting the server I switch back to console view (i.e. ctrl - alt - f1) everythin is ok at that point, but after switching back to X with (ctrl - alt - f7) The backlight on my LCD dims out so its hard to read the screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Kyle

Just Joined!
    Problem 1:
    I would examine the initial settings on the kernel before you had recompiled it. I would also examine if it is necessary for an initrd, or initial ram diskette, is necessary with respect to setting up the computer to run with the options.

Problem 2:
    It may be that the light needs to be brightened. I have a laptop and the light went a little dim and I was surprised as to why. I think that it may just be the laptop, and I do not know, but if the ACPI is set up to deal with the light, then is it possible that an option in the kernel compilation may affect the light of the computer? Again, it is speculation.

I hope this helps, and I am sorry if it does not.