Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I had the same problem installing. Look at the size of the drive. If it is only seeing 600mb it is seeing the CDROM as your drive. I had to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I had the same problem installing. Look at the size of the drive. If it is only seeing 600mb it is seeing the CDROM as your drive. I had to kick myself once I (finally) figured out that was what was happening because it should have been so obvious. Appearantly my CDROM was on IDE1 and my HD was on IDE2. Pop open your box and switch your IDE cables around if it turns out to be the cause of your problem as well. That fixed my problem. Good luck and happy slacking.

Just Joined!
    if you have any other distro other than slackware, then install that wherever you want and then install slackware on that[the first distro]....since there will already be a partition created, there will not be the trouble of using fdisk or cfdisk[ i did this by installing mandrake linux and then installing slackware on it]

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I had the same problem installing. Look at the size of the drive. If it is only seeing 600mb it is seeing the CDROM as your drive. I had to kick myself once I (finally) figured out that was what was happening because it should have been so obvious. Appearantly my CDROM was on IDE1 and my HD was on IDE2. Pop open your box and switch your IDE cables around if it turns out to be the cause of your problem as well. That fixed my problem. Good luck and happy slacking.

Son of a monkey on a stick! Yup, typed fdisk /dev/hdb instead of /hda and that fixed it. Installing Slackware as I type.

Thank you all.

Just Joined!
    Im having the same problem phnax had. Im just wondering if there is anyother way to fix this other than switching the cables around, since im trying to install this on a laptop and that could prove to be a pain.

Linux Enthusiast
    So it wasnt a slack problem at all ? merely you trying to partition your cd rom drive?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiza
    Im having the same problem phnax had. Im just wondering if there is anyother way to fix this other than switching the cables around, since im trying to install this on a laptop and that could prove to be a pain.
    Try fdisk on /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hda. That should do it as well. I only swithced the cables around because I can be anal when it comes to my system setup. It would drive me nuts, which is a very short drive to begin with.

Just Joined!
    I am also having the same problem. I haven't switched the cables around but I typed in fdisk /dev/hdb and it gave me unable to open /dev/hdb. Do I have to switch the cables around or is there another way to fix this?

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem a while ago on a couple of hard drives, one was Maxter and one was Fitjitsu.
    None of them wanted to work.

Then someone told me about this:
    For the Maxter Go to thier website and In the "Search" bar type "hard drive format"
    and download a program called "Maxblaster4" (It's an image and less then 1mb)

Put it on a floppy and shove it into your floppy drive and reboot.

This program will do miricles, It will turn your slave Into a master (and vise versa)
    It will completely format, partition and even write zero's to your hard drive.

It will even tell you If you pluged It In to the wrong port.
    It also gives you a jumper diagram for you drive (If you choose to look at It)

Just tell the program what you want It to do just by pointing your mouse and clicking on the choices.

I thought my Maxter was completely shot because I couldn't even Install Windows on It and when I used this program It brought It back to life.

I checked and Fitjitsu and western have similar programs,

Check your hard drives website to see If they have a program like this for your hard drive. I'm sure they do.

My friend said that he through about 4 hard drives out (He thought they were bad) untill he found this program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2