Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have slackware 10.1 on my p4 system with asrock 845g motherboard, 256 ram,2.8 ghz.. i am currently unable to set up my network on slack and also my sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

setting up network and sound

i have slackware 10.1 on my p4 system with asrock 845g motherboard, 256 ram,2.8 ghz.. i am currently unable to set up my network on slack and also my sound card...when i go to netconfig, it goes through the process very smoothly and says that the network is set up [ an adsl connection]...but when i type adsl-start, it works for sometime and then it says "timed out" when i say adsl-status, it says "cannot read pppoe pid file /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe"

for setting up sound card, how do i know whether i require ALSA and which driver would work on my 2.6 kernel.....

one more problem that i face is that, i cant go to runlevel 3...the error it gives is"unable to handle kernel paging request" but i can go to runlevel 1 comfortably...

what is the reason for all these problems and can they be solved?

Its hard to say which kernel will support your hardware as we dont know exactly what it is.

I would recomment using the latest stable kernel (2.6.16.9 atm I think) because it would have the most support for hardware.

Generally what I do when I build a kernel for a new system is I get as much information about my hardware as possible and then when I build the kernel I add only what I need (I only build the modules I need which makes compiling a lot quicker)

so to start off save the output of lspci to a file

Code:
    lspci > hw.txt
    then once you have downloaded and extracted the kernel to /usr/src. As root run

Code:
    make menuconfig
    and go through and select the drivers and options you need. I would recommend building the kernel with /proc/config.gz support that way if you need to upgrade to a newer kernel you will always have your old .config available.