Find the answer to your Linux question:
i use a dsl connection to access internet in my home. i am using roaring penguin PPPoE. Before it was working fine. But from a few days it started giving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with point to point protocol over ethernet

i use a dsl connection to access internet in my home.
    i am using roaring penguin PPPoE. Before it was working fine. But from a few days it started giving me problem. What happens is that the PPPoE connection gets up but it can not resolve domain names. Ya i have checked the resolv.conf, its fine. but still the problem is there and i am not able to send and receive bytes. Please help me with this

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Have you made any changes that could have caused this? Or did it happen without you doing whatsoever? And you don't have a firewall or a router that could prevent you from accessing the Net?

when you say you have checked resolve.conf and its fine does that mean that your ISPs DNS servers are there.

Also it could be a routing problem is your default gateway set correctly?

Just Joined!
    I havent made any changes with the network configurations as far as i remember. and ya i checked the resolv.conf in /etc. The ISPs DNS server ip are there. the only thing i found mysterious is the ISP is assigning a broadcast address 255.255.255.255 as the secondary DNS. so i decided to set the resolv.conf manually and the set the ip address of my isps dns servers. but still there is no activity. the PPPoE connection is connected fine but no domain names are resolved. This is making me sick................
    also, i dont have to take care of routing in my terminal because the ISP will take care of it. i have provided with a utp cat 5 cable which i plug directly into my nic . I have a windows xp also in the same laptop and its working fine with the pppoe. Only when i try to use it in slackware the problem is there. i wonder how it worked in the starting day....