Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installation issues... Error loading...

I'm having an issue with installing Slackware 10.2... from what I'm reading, there's a TON of people with a similar type of issue, but slightly different than the one that I'm having... so hopefully someone can help...

I had an old copy of CentOS's install cd, so I loaded that up and entered graphical mode to partition the drive... everything worked fine... now when I go and put slackware's disk1 in the dvd-rom, all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner for about 2 minutes and then it says "Error loading operating system"....

Like I said, I've read up on this, or attempted to, but everything I have read seems to be geared towards "I installed fine, but when I reboot I get an error loading operating system message." Which is NOT the case with me... I haven't even installed yet...

Anyone here have any suggestions and/or HOPEFULLY solutions? You don't even know how much I'd appreciate it!

Ad3pt

verify if you can boot from other CD. (other Linux or windows CD)

if you can boot from other CD and you cannot boot from Slackware first CD then i think your slackware CD1 is fault or your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM cannot read the CD for some reason.

I sugest to download again Slackware iso images, verify md5sum and burn iso images on slow speed (x8 - x16 )

Also, disable Plug'n'Play in your BIOS and check the boot sequence again.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah, ok... so I've figured out THAT issue... I guess my dvd-rom drive was having issues reading cd-rw disks, so I burned the iso to a cd-r instead and it reads FINE... although the installation process works now, once it begins, I keep getting FATAL ERROR messages and GREP: input/output error messages... I have yet to allow the installation to complete because I have SO MANY errors (literally like one right after the other on certain package installs)... so I'm not exactly sure if it will run, but with all those errors, do I really WANT to try to let it go through?

Please, if anyone can help, it would be MUCH appreciated!

If you get that many errors, check the integrity of your cds, as already stated. Furthermore, cleaning the drive might help, too.

I would not risk installing such an amount of broken packages. (Did that once with Arch and everything was really broken later).
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984