Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i'm not getting any sound on linux. When I start up KDE, I get an error message: Error while initializing the sound driver: device/dsp can't be opened (No such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Creative SB Live sound card on Slackware

Hi i'm not getting any sound on linux. When I start up KDE, I get an error message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the nulloutput device.

I've got a Sound Blaster Live card.

Is there any more information I could post that would be more helpful in getting this to work?

Just Joined!
    Are you using the stock kernel that comes with Slackware, or is a custom build? If a custom build did you build sound as a module or "in" the kernel?

If you are using the standard kernel that comes with Slackware, or you built a new kernel with sound as a module, type in "lsmod" (without the quote) in a terminal and look for anything with snd_emu10k1 listed. If it's not, then you might just need to run alsaconf. This MUST be done from a terminal as root. Alsaconf will, or at least should, find your sound card add the appropriate lines to /etc/modules.conf (or modprobe.conf if you are using a 2.6 kernel). This will load the necessary stuff at boot and it will unmute (the default is for sound to be muted don't ask me why) the sound card mixer and set the volumes at a "resonable" level. Plus make sure that /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa is executable so that your mixer settings.

At this point you should have sound and you should still have sound when you reboot.

HTH,
    MMYoung