Find the answer to your Linux question:
im using slackware 10.2 and I cant get my Sony Usb Optical Mouse to work ive tried using the pkgtool #pkgtool > mouse > usb mouse still the cursor wont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mouse Problem on Slack 10.2

im using slackware 10.2 and I cant get my Sony Usb Optical Mouse to work

ive tried using the pkgtool

#pkgtool > mouse > usb mouse

still the cursor wont move when im on GUI.

how can I solve this problem?

thanks in advance

Are you using the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

2.6 kernel sir

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The default 2.6 kernel in slack is apparently broken. I and others never managed to get USB mice (not even PS2 mice) and keyboards working correctly with it. You will need to compile one yourself, using a vanilla kernel from kernel.org or you will have to drop back on the 2.4 kernel.

so if im going back to 2.4 kernel how do I do it? if I compile a new kernel how?
    sorry im a newbie

if I use the kernel 2.6.16.14 whici is form kernel.org and says that it is the latest stable version will it work?

It should work. Read this: http://www.slackersbible.org/node/17 it will teach you how to compile a Slack-kernel (it ain't difficult if you keep some basic things in mind). I suggest that you read the whole site carefully as it will teach you a whopping amount of things about Slackware. But, if I am allowed this comment, Slackware is imho not the best choice for newcomers to Linux. But if you really have the courage, time and determination to cut your teeth on it, then it will be a nice learning experience. However, if your frustration level is rather low, I would reconsider using Slackware.

Another great source of information is the Slackbook http://www.slackbook.org/ .

In case you want to fall back on the 2.4 kernel, you will need to install it from the CDs and at least edit your bootloader scripts so that it will be added to the bootchoices. Afterwards, you might need to finetune some things, but multiple kernels are usually no-brainers if you know your way around in Linux.