Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am new member and I would like to ask you one question.How to setup ADSL on Slackware 10.2 with dynamic IP,I have tried everything.Me and three friends are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

setup ADSl on Slackware 10.2

Hello I am new member and I would like to ask you one question.How to setup ADSL on Slackware 10.2 with dynamic IP,I have tried everything.Me and three friends are connected in LAN we don't have router we are connected through a switch,some people says I have to use eth0 and some ppp please answer me in quicker time PLEASE I am desperate.

Just Joined!

There is a script - adsl-setup

No, it's not ppp. This is for dial-up. You need pppoe packets. There is a script - adsl-setup you need to run. I myself had problems with setting my connection on Slackware 10.2 but I suppose I might not have all the packets because I did not download the whole distro and on my system adsl-setup was to be found nowhere. I have managed to set my LAN connection on other distros using this script, though.

Just Joined!

the ADSL again

Tana I don't know if you are introduced but there is no adsl-setup on Slackware 10.2 anymore now it is pppoe-setup I think cuz my system didn't find the command adsl-setup and I have to do that cuz I don't have router to manage the connecting with my user my pass and the Dynamic IP.I would be very thankfull if someone really helps me with that.I don't know what to do.I heard that it could be the MAC adress I saw it in Windows with command in Linux I have tried to change it but it says invalid MAC adress and when I type ifconfig the adress is the chosen one.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hristijan
    Tana I don't know if you are introduced but there is no adsl-setup on Slackware 10.2 anymore now it is pppoe-setup I think cuz my system didn't find the command adsl-setup and I have to do that cuz I don't have router to manage the connecting with my user my pass and the Dynamic IP.I would be very thankfull if someone really helps me with that.I don't know what to do.I heard that it could be the MAC adress I saw it in Windows with command in Linux I have tried to change it but it says invalid MAC adress and when I type ifconfig the adress is the chosen one.
    Yep, it's quite possible that there is no adsl-setup in Slack 10.2. I did my experiments with Slack about a week ago and since then I did not have the time to deal with it again but I plan to do it this weekend. But I read somewhere on the Net about that adsl-setup. Anyway, I will deal with it tomorrow and when I find out how to it, I will post it here. I presume, it's pretty easy but requires time to figure out.

About the MAC address. I can't understand from your posting if you have changed the MAC address of your network adapter or not but if your provider locks your connection to your MAC address, then if you change the MAC address without notifying your provider, you will not be able to connect.

Just Joined!

Unhappy The Same

tana I know about the script adsl-setup but on slackware don't work,and I didn't change the MAC adress I just try to put the right one on Slackware because I though it isn't but it is the same like in Windows so I think that the MAC adress is not the problem. I think it is pretty easy to solve it and I solve the problem but it don't work

I've never configured an internet connection this way but:

Maybe the utility you are looking for is:
    Code:
    pppoe-setup
    You can read about it in:
    /usr/doc/rp-pppoe-3.6/HOW-TO-CONNECT

Is your connection from the switch into a network interface card on your computer? When connected to the switch, what is the output of:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    ?
    If you cannot get the connection going, and it is an option for you, using a router would be the easiest way to get it sorted.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Code:
    pppoe-setup
    worked for me. It starts the script to enter my username, password, DNS, etc. and I managed to connect. Thank you Dapper Dan! A great piece of advice!