Find the answer to your Linux question:
do i need the "source" iso-s to install slackware? Are they important for the system, or are they just cd-s with extra programs? i mean, can i skip the spurce ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ec2
    Just Joined!

Question installation iso-s

do i need the "source" iso-s to install slackware? Are they important for the system, or are they just cd-s with extra programs? i mean, can i skip the spurce iso-s?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ec2
    do i need the "source" iso-s to install slackware? Are they important for the system, or are they just cd-s with extra programs? i mean, can i skip the spurce iso-s?
    You don't need them as such, but if you ever need to recompile any part of Slack (or Linux in general) it's certainly advisable to have them. If you're low on disk space or have a really slow connection, you can give them a miss tho

Linux Enthusiast
    I can tell you right now you don't even NEED the second CD, let alone the 3rd and 4th. When I got Slackware it was with the intention of running it on older hardware (less than 500MHz and 128MB RAM) so I didn't even bother getting the 2nd CD which only comes with KDE. To tell you the truth, the default installation doesn't even know the source CDs exist!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close