Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't load ATI driver module! Help!

EDITED...

Please read the below posts of mine.

Just trying to get my ATI driver to work.

Well the structure of XF86Config-4 is not the same as the newer xorg.conf, at least not completely. If you are using the latest proprietary ATI drivers, the install tool will automatically generate a working xorg.conf for you. Also xorg no longer requires modelines to be set in the config files. I also notice that you are using a standard vga driver. I would definitely recommend using [url=https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=300]the newer flgrx proprietary drivers[url]. They are a lot better than they used to be. You should pull a few hundred fps on glxgears at least.

I did get the "X.Org 6.8" from the ati website driver section. I also generated the conf with the install tool. I am a linux noob so I probably screwed something up somewhere.

Is it possible for you or someone to walk me through this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, I think I got my ATI driver working, and my FPS on glxgears went up some more...

Here is my xorg.conf file that I used to get it to work...

http://www.ohpgaming.com/goodxorg.conf

Also, does anyone know what I can tweak to make my fps higher?

-----------------[ E D I T]--------------------------------------
    Never mind, it's using the Mesa3d drivers, I think I may be getting closer though.

If anyone knows how to get the real ATI drivers please let me know. Thanks.

Somehow I need to get the fglrx module.
    When I try modprobe -v fglrx
    It tells me that it cannot locate fglrx.

---------------------

Another website I found said
    "1) Make sure you have the Kernel source code and the GCC compiler installed, by default they are not."

How do I do this?

----------------------

I located some modules in "/lib/modules/fglrx". How can I use them?

----------------------

Kernel = 2.4.31

Sorry for a triple post, but this is really really annoying me! I have been trying since around 9:30 this morning to get my ATI graphics card to work on slackware (it is now exactly 1:00 at night while writing this). It is getting late now, i'm hoping maybe by the time I wake up tomorrow morning someone would have posted to this to help me out .

Over 10 hours straight of trying to get something to work is not fun!!! BTW, I officially now hate ATI! (until I get it working of course )