Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm running Vector Linux which is a Slackware derivative. the version i have is using the 2.6.13 kernel. anyhow, i just installed it on my laptop, and added an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DHCP: failed

hi,

i'm running Vector Linux which is a Slackware derivative. the version i have is using the 2.6.13 kernel.

anyhow, i just installed it on my laptop, and added an Oviling rj45 lan card (abocom dec-tulip compatible). i have the module working properly, and my network device (eth0) set to use dhcp

however, on startup, dhcp ALWAYS fails to start and i have no idea how to get it working. i have my laptop linked to a 5 port network hub, allong with my desktop pc and my cable modem, so i dont know why my laptop's dhcp fails and my desktop is able to connect to the internet with no problems.

plz, i'm kinda desperate to get this working, been trying for days so any help is appreciated.

ttyl

Just Joined!
    I could well be wrong, but:

My cable modem only gives out one IP address, so if I used a hub/switch to connect, the first device to pick up a DHCP lease would get the only address. Any subsequent attempts to pick up a DHCP address would fail.
    Therefore, in my case (using NTL in the UK), I use a router with inbuilt DHCP to give the individual PCs their (private 192.168.x.x) ip addresses.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    what's the output of
    /sbin/ifconfig

I'm with damianconnolly. Based on the information you've given, It appears to me you need a router to assign your laptop and desktop pc seperate local ip addresses. Then, when you run dhcpcd eth0 from the laptop, the router can give it one. Your Isp is going to assign you just one ip which is presently being used by your desktop pc.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

i see, you're probably right about the network hub thing.... but i have tryed to link my laptop to the modem directly as well, and even that fails.

ifconfig only returns the 'lo' loopback connection

thanx guys for the help but all is working. i disconnected my desktop, rebooted my modem and then reconnected it directly to my laptop, and it worked!

after searching on a local auction site, i found a 2nd hand 4 port smc router for about $15:

here are the specs:
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...&scid=&pid=927

would that router be able to share my cable connection so that both my desktop and laptop could connect via dhcp?

From their description...
    To manage these connections, the SMC7004VBR has a built-in DHCP server that auto-assigns IP addresses to devices on your network.
    ...so it looks like it will work adequately. Whether or not it is of good quality, I cannot guess.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Code:
    Whether or not it is of good quality, I cannot guess
    well, for the price i cant realy complain

thanx