Find the answer to your Linux question:
anyone had success building the nvidia legacy video drivers for 2.6.17? I know so far there has been problems with 2.6.16 and building the drivers, although there should be a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Linux 2.6.17 + Nvidia legacy drivers

anyone had success building the nvidia legacy video drivers for 2.6.17? I know so far there has been problems with 2.6.16 and building the drivers, although there should be a patch out now on nvnews.net.

I have hung back on 2.6.15.4 for a while now, just wondering if anyone has managed to build them ok on a 2.6.16+ kernel

thanks!

Linux Enthusiast
    my mistake, its actuallly 2.6.16.17 lol

anyway I've found an unofficial patch for it the nvidia legacy drivers at nvnews.net, if anyone wants the patch or the instructions I'll post them here, I have managed to apply the patch ok so I'm building the new kernel to try it out.

thanks people

Linux Enthusiast
    2.6.16.17 running fine with GLX and legacy nvidia drivers

if anyone wants the patched legacy driver tarball I have it etc

"To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, thats looks like it, its the same filename anyway

when i actually patched the extracted nvidia driver sources it only reported back saying it had patched one .sh bash script. but it worked fine so .

it is unofficial however and they say on nvnews.net that a new legacy driver with the functionality of the newer nonlegacy driver will be coming out in the near future, will full 2.6 kernel support etc.