Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install an ATI driver. It tells me the driver was built with Linux kernel 2.6.13 ELF. My kernel is 2.4.31. Do I have to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My kernel and driver kernel...

Hi, I am trying to install an ATI driver. It tells me the driver was built with Linux kernel 2.6.13 ELF.

My kernel is 2.4.31.

Do I have to use the same kernel that the driver was built with in order for it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by hlstriker
    My kernel is 2.4.31.
    For official ATI drivers to work you need kernel 2.4 and higher, that's it:
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...24.8-inst.html

So official ATI drivers will work:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sla...g-ati-rpm.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks, I think I am going to try and update my kernel to the newest stable version anyhow though. I tryed getting 2.6.16.17, but when I tryed to load it up, it told me something about a mount point?

Does anyone know why it's saying that? (I'm on my old backup kernel now)

Just Joined!
    I got my kernel upgraded to 2.6.16.17, but now my USB optical mouse doesn't move or light up. The thing is, when I click one of the buttons on the mouse, my mouse will light up like it usually does when it's on. Also, my monitor is blank when it is booting up, but when it is time to log a user in, it comes back on. I looked through the menuconfig to see if I could find anything to change for those 2 problems, but I couldn't find anything in there that I thought might change it (I am pretty new to Linux, so I don't really know what i'm looking for anyhow).

Here is what I did to upgrade my kernel...
    make menuconfig
    make
    make modules
    make modules_install
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/2.6.16.17
    pico /etc/lilo.conf
    lilo -v

The new kernel seems to be working fine except for the 2 problems above. Also my sound doesn't seem to be working anymore either. I will deal with that later though.

------------[E D I T]----------------------------

It seems that only my X is working. When I try to CTRL + ALT + 6, it stays blank instead of going to the text only login screen like it usually does. CTRL + ALT + 7 works though, which is my X.

Quote Originally Posted by hlstriker
    my monitor is blank when it is booting up, but when it is time to log a user in, it comes back on.
    [...]
    It seems that only my X is working. When I try to CTRL + ALT + 6, it stays blank instead of going to the text only login screen like it usually does. CTRL + ALT + 7 works though, which is my X.
    While in
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    I would take a look in:
    Code:
    Device Drivers  --->
    Graphics support  --->
    And make sure this is not set:
    Code:
    < > Support for frame buffer devices
    And that this is set:
    Code:
    Console display driver support  --->[*] VGA text console[*]   Video mode selection support
    Plus, if you are new to the kernel building thing, make sure your kernel is as modular as possible and that this is enabled:
    Code:
    Loadable module support  --->[*] Enable loadable module support[*]
    Automatic kernel module loading
    As for the mouse... which mouse is it? What does
    Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    tell you?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee