Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have anyone experimenting this? At least the installation should be able to connect to internet from dialup, LAN, ADSL, able to communicate to other computers, todo some minor regular user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

super minimalist configuration for desktop

Have anyone experimenting this? At least the installation should be able to connect to internet from dialup, LAN, ADSL, able to communicate to other computers, todo some minor regular user stuffs administrations and good but not overblown security. Which packages should be needed?

also compiling minimalist kernel, which stuffs should we leave alone for desktop configuration? Yeah there're clues in the compile menu like "if you don't know what's blah then leave it on" but somebody should have been experimenting something like this.

I tried couple of times, got myself running a super fast desktop, but not sure about the networking and internet connectivity lol.

You could try an Arch Linux Base Install. Just a thought.

that crosses my mind couple of times, but i already hooked with slacky

naah, I already downloaded tons of gigs softwares from linuxpackages. No way I'm gonna throw em all just like that.

But I'm kinda interested to arch also, what kind of package management it uses? is there any special packages websites for arch like linuxpackages for slackware?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    how about VectorLinux? (www.vectorlinux.com)

its slackware based, and extremely fast and lightweight. it includes lightweight window managers also, such as fluxbox. it has a basic built-in firewall and a few hardware auto-detection scripts (save tons of time compared to slackware )

it depends if you want a graphical environment or not?

if not then all you need is base installation environment and packages like:
    ssh
    links or links2
    you could even you framebuffer to get stuff like mplayer to minimally work with graphics

but if you want X
    then same as above except use lightweight WM like fluxbox or blackbox
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    how about VectorLinux? (www.vectorlinux.com)

its slackware based, and extremely fast and lightweight. it includes lightweight window managers also, such as fluxbox. it has a basic built-in firewall and a few hardware auto-detection scripts (save tons of time compared to slackware )
    slackware already provides fluxbox, what i mean is like which net packages that's save to remove and to install, which administration packages something like that.

If i wanted a full blown prepared and ready to use slackware based distro, I've already chosen slax. But... where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    it depends if you want a graphical environment or not?

if not then all you need is base installation environment and packages like:
    ssh
    links or links2
    you could even you framebuffer to get stuff like mplayer to minimally work with graphics

but if you want X
    then same as above except use lightweight WM like fluxbox or blackbox
    how about packages for LAN, ADSL, dialups, anything critical that i should leave alone? For all these times I'm experimenting with slackware I never tested LAN or internet connection. Once actually, using ADSL and dialup, both don't work lol