Find the answer to your Linux question:
I eventually got my slackware installation connected to the lan and internet (thanks Chris ) and now I think I've broken it. When connected as root I type telinit 4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I Think I Broke It :(

I eventually got my slackware installation connected to the lan and internet (thanks Chris ) and now I think I've broken it.

When connected as root I type telinit 4 to open KDE (I know I can change a file for it to do this automatically but I tried that before and ended up doing a full re-install and I'm happy to just type that line anyway)

when the KDE opens everything initializes then within about 10-15 seconds it hangs - last thing it does is "Restoring Session".

If I log in as a user KDE opens without a problem but I can't connect to the internet (I think that's a dns issue because I can ping google by ip but not by name) even though the connection settings are the same as those for root.

is there anything I can enter from shell (before telinit 4) to cancel the previous session or at least get it to not try to restore session??

Thanks in advance

Banned
    Hrm... If you continue to have problems, you could do/try
    Code:
     rm -rf /root/.kde
    But that is a last resort

Dunno about DNS issue

Just Joined!
    nope, not last resort - penultimate resort.
    my last resort was going to be to re-install. However, many thanks because your suggestion worked and saved me much time and hassle from having to re-install.

Thnk you

Banned
    No problem did you fix the dns issue, Im interesed

Just Joined!
    Not yet.

It's a little strange because I can access www.google.com from a web browser, I can ping google by ip address but I can not ping google by name *scratches head*

check your /etc/resolv.conf
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    /etc/resolv.conf
    --------------------
    search WORKGROUP

that's it that's all that's in there.

Banned
    I am guessing you connect through a router or such called workgroup?

This is like a UK topic (every1 from the UK):O

Just Joined!
    My linux box, my W2KPro and my partner's win98 boxes are on our internal lan (WORKGROUP), then the http server (WAMP (W2KPro)), an XP64bit, and laptop (wireless link) are in our dmz - 3620 cisco router on external and 2620 cisco on internal with catalyst 2924 switch.