Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can't boot slackware 10.2 kernel 2.4. i have spent at least 24 hours workin on it installs fine - disks are partitioned - no error messages when installed. lilo loads, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant Logon to 10.2!

Can't boot slackware 10.2 kernel 2.4.
    i have spent at least 24 hours workin on it

installs fine - disks are partitioned - no error messages when installed.

lilo loads, linux loads.
    then it gives me promt to log on.

i type password ..... which i set in installation.....and nothing happens. computer does nothing.

i did everything this guy did:
    http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/...?postid=311808

...... and mine doesn't work. all screenshots look same too. I get to the attached screen and I cannot log on!!!! why?

i am seriously thinking of dumping linux all together.
    i tried fedora 5 - doesnt read new ati cards ..... bug 142.
    now i encounter this with slackware .....
    what is going on? please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by xlowriderx
    i am seriously thinking of dumping linux all together.
    Did you set up an account during installation? Can you login as root?

You might wanna try an easier distro. Ubuntu, Suse, Mandrivia?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

mmmm......

i thought about an easier distro ...but to be honest ..... i want to learn from the ground up. plus, i figured if i ran into problems slackware would be easier to fix.....getting the feeling that i am gonna run into probs with every distro.

after the fedora incident -the issue is still not fixed with the software - because ati uses closed drivers (or something like that) and linux has not been adjusted.

all i want to do is increase my speed when playing online games. from what i hear linux is faster than windows. i want to open my pipes and release some hell....lol.

any advice u could give me would be great.

thanks.

after the fedora incident -the issue is still not fixed with the software - because ati uses closed drivers (or something like that) and linux has not been adjusted.
    ATI does use proprietary 3D drivers, but "proprietary" doesn't necessarily mean "bad". It's unfortunate that ATI's proprietary drivers are bad in Linux. Nvidia's perform much better in my personal experience.

all i want to do is increase my speed when playing online games. from what i hear linux is faster than windows. i want to open my pipes and release some hell....lol.
    What games are you looking to play? Not all major online games have Linux versions, but some do. Quake 1-4, Doom 1-3, Unreal Tournament, and Enemy Territory are the first native ones that come to mind. You'll need functional 3D drivers for them though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    legends - ppl with linux run faster than me.

plays like tribes 1 and tribes 2 - made by dev's of the game
    completely free.

btw - creating dual boot system

here are my specs - i should be smokin em.
    ati firegl 7100
    athlon amd64 939 slot
    sata 300gb
    2gb ram

Slackware isn't a hard distro. You just have to know a little more about configuring things from the command line, most of which is well documented in various places on the net. When you say you get nothing when loggin in, are you signing in as root? You have to configure regular user accounts after you sign in as root which is really easy.

Sign in with 'root' without the quotes, it will ask for root's password. Enter that and press enter. Once you are root, enter:
    Code:
    kdm
    ...and press enter. (This is really so you'll know how to get to kdm, the 'sign in manager.' Once it's up, type in root and root's password again. (Be disconnected to the internet when you do this for security reasons.) now to create a new user which is what you will use when signing. open a terminal, and type:
    Code:
    kuser
    ...and enter. Then add user. Create your user profile and password, (don't forget it! ) and choose to create a home directory and choose /bin/bash as your login shell. After creating this user account, sign out, (from your kde menu) and you will be taken back to the kdm sign in manager. Next, login as the user you just created. All this provided of course you don't have video problems which I don't think you'll have.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-30-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    i installed ok ..... it will not let me sign in as root. i could during installation without a password. i walked thru installation process ..... gave a password, booted 1st time, it asks for my password, i type it in, nothing happens......cursor just keeps blinking.

i have installed it 3-5 times. same thing always happens. i have no idea how to correct it especially when it installs correctly. I cannot log into root and add new user accounts. i have tried to boot from cd and bootdisk... cant figure it out.

i disconnected all internet connections when doing all this. the only thing i can think of is when i configure settings..... even if i dont use dhcp, can i use it as default just to load the damn thing up? dont feel like doin static routes right now.

i installed ok ..... it will not let me sign in as root. i could during installation without a password. i walked thru installation process ..... gave a password, booted 1st time, it asks for my password, i type it in, nothing happens......cursor just keeps blinking.
    The cursor won't show you any feedback. That's normal. Go ahead and type your whole password in and hit enter. You should be able to log in.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i typed password, hit enter, and waited about 15 minutes ...... does it take longer to logon? i tried typing cammands after typed password, nothing shows up on screen - stays at same spot with same blinking cursor

i typed password hit enter and waited about 15 minutes ...... does it take longer to boot?
    No, by the time it asks you for your root password the system should already be completely booted. Something else is wrong.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast