Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an older system I am trying to set slack on but ccant get the config straight for the life of me multiple attempts, multiple failures.... But here is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Headless server ideas

I have an older system I am trying to set slack on but ccant get the config straight for the life of me multiple attempts, multiple failures....

But here is what I am shooting for:
    Slackware with no GUI, just text/command line. Webserver w/php, MySQL etc. FTP or SMB (so I can get inot the thing), SSH & VNC. In a perfect world I would do a custom telnet where I log in and have reboot/restart services etc. in a menu but at this pooint I'll just settle for getting the box going right!

Any assist or how to direction would be great!

Well by default Slack puts you in runlevel 3, so don't install the X11 packages. Only install the services you want to run when you install Slackware. They are all on the first CD. In fact, you'll only need the first CD. The other CDs are just full of extras. Google when it comes to configuring those services. I don't know what else to tell you.

I do all that plus email. Nothing special just do it.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds