Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I was wondering if I could have some help regarding a slackware 10.2 error post-install. I keep getting an error message saying: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy I am new to this whole linux deal!

Hello
    I was wondering if I could have some help regarding a slackware 10.2 error post-install.

I keep getting an error message saying:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 16:02

If anyone could help me to get further that would be great. Thanks

I hope this doesnt sound disrespectful but for a new user slackware is a PTA. You should try one of the more user friendly distros but dont let that deter you from using slackware either because it was my first distro. i am just giving you an option for the purpose of your own experience. wouldnt want to you to give up so soon based on a bad experience getting linux installed and running.

As far as your problem did you just install straight from the disk and use one of the default kernels?
    I found some stuff on www.google.com/linux that relate to your problem when you search for
    Code:
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 16:02

PS you might also tell us what kind of drive controller your hard drive is on.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    yeah i would get suse 10.1, if ur new slackware is harsh, if you are just gonna use slackware then even try slax, its the same and its very nice with a 2.6 kernel

romxero is there a way to install that to a hard drive? i have used slax before but only in a live CD capacity. it is really nice.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557