Find the answer to your Linux question:
Summer is very close, and I will have allot of time to do some reading. One of the things on my list is to become quite frimilar with Linux this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Books.

Summer is very close, and I will have allot of time to do some reading. One of the things on my list is to become quite frimilar with Linux this summer. Thus, I am asking for the titles of some good Slackware Linux books. I would like to have books that will teach the basics of linux, allong with more indepth material, leading up to(/using all allong) using intermediate - advanced BASH, and possibly discussion on configuring linux.

Any books you can recomend? This will probably end up being two or three books by the time I am done, depending on what some books cover.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey, Craige... there aren't a great many Slackware books to be had, especially recent releases, but here's the free online Slackbook that might be of some help to you:

http://www.slackbook.org/

Maybe some others will know of some good hard copy books to recommend.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Hey, Craige... there aren't a great many Slackware books to be had, especially recent releases, but here's the free online Slackbook that might be of some help to you:

http://www.slackbook.org/

Maybe some others will know of some good hard copy books to recommend.
    Yeah, I saw you posted that link in the FAQ. I am reading it bit by bit, but I always find a hard copy allot easier to read. Leaning into a computer screen is just annoying when reading for extended periods of time, and the light can really trigger a headache when you are focusing on it that close.

Kinda weird really, how I can do it when I am programming, but not when I am reading articles, essays, books etc.

But yeah, I would prefer a hard copy over anything else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You can get almost the same book in hard copy (Slackware Linux Essentials) at the Slackware Store and it may be available from other places:

http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/s...FQgYU:mv_pc=31
    oz

A Practical Guide to Linux
    Linux Bible
    The Slack book on line or giving the 29.95 to Slack for their great work and get a paper copy.

The few I've read.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gusisfry
    A Practical Guide to Linux
    Linux Bible
    The Slack book on line or giving the 29.95 to Slack for their great work and get a paper copy.

The few I've read.
    Thank you (and Ozar). I will look into those.

If you want to learn Gnu/Linux, don't focus on a specific distro, obviously you'll want to learn slackware to be able to use it, and ozar already gave you a link for that, slackbook.org is the official book for slackware, however for Gnu/Linux specifically, read http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

add some fun reading in there too! look for the riverworld series by FARMER, PHILIP JOSÉ.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557