Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a student in an OS class. We are using VMWare to install the Operating Systems we use in class. Does anybody have good documentation on how to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware Install in VMware

I am a student in an OS class. We are using VMWare to install the Operating Systems we use in class. Does anybody have good documentation on how to install SlackWare on the VMware platform? If so please reply to this thread or email me the documentation.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, it is as easy as going to www.vmware.com and dowloading a virtual appliance that contains a fully configured image of SlackWare. At the vmware home page type "appliance" as a search criteria and browse the virtual appliances.

Just Joined!

Installing VMware ON Slackware

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    Yes, it is as easy as going to www.vmware.com and dowloading a virtual appliance that contains a fully configured image of SlackWare. At the vmware home page type "appliance" as a search criteria and browse the virtual appliances.

Everyone talks about installing Slackware in VMware which sits on Windows..

I need to do it the other way. I want to install VMware on Slackware 11 and then in VMWARE to than install Windowsxp.

VMWare wants a version of Linux that uses /init.d and /rc1-6.d directories.
    Slackware is not structured that way.

Any help on getting around this? Or should I just install VMware on Windows and THAN Slackware inside it??

Linux Newbie
    http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jbyrne/vmware.htm

VMWare wants a version of Linux that uses /init.d and /rc1-6.d directories. Slackware is not structured that way.
    Any help on getting around this?

cd /etc
    mkdir init.d
    for i in {0,1,2,3,4,5,6}; do mkdir rc$i.d; done

When it asks you for the location of your startup scripts... and mentions rc0.d to rc6.d... you want to tell it /etc is the directory - since that's where we just created the temporary directories.